PDA

View Full Version : Regisration on laser

Bob Hallinan
11-17-2009, 10:14 PM
I have a Versacamm printer and would like to make some prints on vinyl and then cut them out in the laser after being applied to acrylic. Does anyone have an idea that would make this possible.
Thanks in advance.

Doug Griffith
11-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Try this: In the print file, put a visible keyline outside the trim about .010". Then create a trim fixture or tape a thin clear laserable substrate to one edge of the laser bed. Cut through the clear substrate with the keyline as a vector and weed. Swing the clear substrate out of the way and insert the printed piece you want to cut. Drop the clear substrate back down on top of the printed piece and reposition to align with the cut. Then cut through the printed piece.

I hope that made sense.

Rodne Gold
11-18-2009, 12:40 AM
You will do better to print and cut and then wet apply to laser cut acrylic , we have a soljet and tried to do the same thing , the vinyl edges discolour when cutting once applied to pex.
If you print, overlaminate and then cut , you might get away without the wet application as the vinyl is now a lot stiffer and easier to apply dry.

Joe Pelonio
11-18-2009, 8:05 AM
I do this all the time with images printed onto poly film (not vinyl-no PVC).
With transfer tape applied the edges remain clean and undamaged. If the background is mostly white I'll wet it with water prior to cutting just to be safe.

What I do is to include a rectangle around the pieces in the cut file. Then I use that rectangle to cut a template which is taped into the laser so every piece (that same size) fits exactly into the right spot. On the print I have registration marks for cutting it to fit the plex in the right spot, and a mark for the upper left so it goes in the right direction.

Bob Hallinan
11-18-2009, 5:49 PM
Thanks for the imput. I will let you know how it works out.
Bob