PDA

View Full Version : detail gouge vs spindle gouge

Ron Bontz
11-17-2009, 5:57 PM
Can any one think of a reason to have a 1/2" spindle gouge if you already have a detail gouge? Spindle turning of course. there are a lot of spindle gouge types out there. Standard spindle, detail, shallow detail, etc. Thanks in advance.:)

Gordon Seto
11-17-2009, 6:21 PM
The flute of a regular spindle gouge is roughly half of the steel diameter, the width of the flute is about the same diameter of the round steel. The flute of a detail gouge is shallower, therefore the width of the flute is narrower. The detail gouge is stronger, but has the same effective flute width of a smaller diameter spindle gouge. The only down side is it is not as good in making long flowing curve. You will need more steady tool control on your part.
Because the steel is thicker on the detail gouge, it has more obvious hollow grind. You can grind away the heel (like a secondary bevel), that would allow you to reach into tight space.

Dan Forman
11-17-2009, 6:22 PM
I have both a 1/2" spindle and 3/8" detail gouge. I like the former for wider curves and flats, the latter for tighter work. The wider profile of the 1/2" gouge makes for a smoother cut when there is room for it.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2009, 9:07 PM
I have a 1/2" spindle along with a 1/2" detail and 3/8" detail. Each has it's place. I use the 3/8" for fine detail turnings.

Ron Bontz
11-17-2009, 9:18 PM
Thanks to everyone for their help. :)

Dave Rudy
11-18-2009, 9:03 PM
Interesting story, Ron. According to Stu Batty the shallow spindle gouge began when one of the British gougemakers ground a bunch at the wrong depth -- too shallow. Rather than throw them away, they turned it into a marketing opportunity and sold them as fine finishing tools. When they actually worked for finer cuts and people began to like them, they made one even shallower and called it a detail gouge.

And we all think that the tool scientists think long and hard about things like angle, shape and depth of flute. . . .

Gordon Seto
11-18-2009, 10:19 PM
And we all think that the tool scientists think long and hard about things like angle, shape and depth of flute. . . .

I don't know about "tool scientists", but a tool maker has. I belong to the same Club as Doug Thompson. Some of our Club members were the guinea pig of his early tools. He makes his tools and is a turner himself. I have been to his shop and seen his prototype tools. They had different combination of curvature, flute depth etc. By field testing, trial and error, he designed the V gouge that doesn't clog.

The discovery of detail gouge may be by accident as Stuart said. But I do believe a lot of turners and tool makers had tried to tinker with the gouge design. I believe before a round detail gouge was readily available, Rudy Osolnik has ground a shallow flute on a rectangular tool steel to make something equivalent to today's detail gouge.

Ron Bontz
11-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Hmm. Interesting tid bits. I had bought Doug's 5/8th and 3/8th detail gouges, not to mention a couple of others and really like them. I am still getting used to them and experimenting with various techniques, rotating the tool depending on which direction I'm cutting, etc.. Much to learn. Lots of spinning to do. A tool cabinet to make. I'll be stealing a few ideas from the forum.

Dave Rudy
11-19-2009, 9:59 PM
But I do believe a lot of turners and tool makers had tried to tinker with the gouge design.

Please don't take my comment too seriously, Gordon. Many tool designers, including Doug Thompson, have taken great care in the design of the tools. In fact, it is interesting (works especially well when taking a class where everyone brings his own tools) to compare Sorby, Thompson, Hamlet, Crown, etc just as to flute shape, width, parabolic curve, etc. Clearly, some gouges work better than others. And some are better for particular styles of turning or types of cuts.

Although I have not used many Glaser tools, I have used a few. My impression is that Doug has improved upon the Glaser design by slightly widening the flute of an exceptional design to begin with. I think an original Glaser is not quite as efficient at removing chips as a Thompson, but the gouges both cut beautifully.

Dave