PDA

View Full Version : Incra Miter 1000SE Evaluation

Bill Arnold
11-17-2009, 4:42 PM
Recent threads about aftermarket miter gauges reinforced my decision to buy one. I ordered and received my 1000SE last week. After unpacking the unit and ensuring everything was there, I made the necessary adjustments to it to match my saw's miter track. After making sure there was no wiggle, the next step was to calibrate it to 90* to the blade. It was perfect right out of the box.

To further check the accuracy, I took some scrap MDF and cut some 45* miters, using the Flip Stop to maintain equal lengths. I cut four pieces and they matched perfectly, as expected.

The fence extension that comes with the 1000SE allows one to cut up to 32" pieces. The extrusion used for the extension is the same as is used on my LS Super System fence so I can do some mix-and-match with some pf the parts. After purchasing my LS, I added the 28" Extender Bars to it. Placing the 28" extender on the 1000SE fence provides up to a 40" stop block. It's also possible to interconnect additional components to get a stop block in excess of 60" but we ain't goin' there yet! :eek:

So far, so good. :)

Prashun Patel
11-17-2009, 4:52 PM
Yup, I love mine. Just beware (like all gauges, if you adjust the fence to be close to the blade at 90 deg, then when you change the angle, you gotta reposition the fence. The blade doesn't like to contact the metal. DAMHIKT...

Ray Newman
11-17-2009, 5:08 PM
Several years ago, I received the 1000SE as a gift.

So far no problems and it keeps its settings. It is a very robust and accurate after market miter gauge and well worth its cost. The FlipStop is worth its weight in gold as far as I am concerned.

I keep telling myself that I want -- I mean need -- the longer 27” - 49” extension fence.

As a shop fabrication, I added a MDF subfence. I made up several at once and drilled the holes for mounting in each. I leave a 6” or so sweep to the right of the fence to move cut offs away from the blade.

With the blade’s kerf in the subfence, you have an automatic reference point exactly where the blade will cut. Using a sharp layout or a very thin drafting type pencil to mark the cut line will increase the accuracy of the cuts.

Jack Camillo
11-17-2009, 5:14 PM
I just pulled up to find mine at the door waiting for me. Bought it Friday based on the thread in 'deals and discounts.' Yahoo.

Dean Karavite
11-22-2009, 6:43 PM
Count me in too. I was at Woodcraft and picked it up last week. Today I also got the miter express. I know this is a lot of cash for a miter gauge and though I have built cross cut sleds and use them all the time, this thing is too much fun. I'm counting it as an early Christmas present to myself.

Michael Heffernan
11-22-2009, 9:47 PM
Good to hear that everyone likes their Incra miter gauge. I ordered the 1000HD and am waiting delivery (probably this Tuesday). I got a great deal on it; $139 plus free shipping and 8% CashBack ($11.12) through eBay/Bing. It's through ToolZone's eBay storefront.
I have the Incra LS17 router table setup and love it. The precision and repeatability was a must have for me. I expect the 1000HD miter gauge to be of the same quality and precision.
I have the Jessum Miter Excel, but I have not been able to get it dialed in. There is some play in the pin stops for the angle adjustment, even at 0 degrees (90 to the blade).
Oh yeah, if you do angle cuts, make sure you move the gauge fence away from the blade. I did the bonehead thing of cutting at 45 and sawing right through the aluminum fence on the Jessum! Ruined a blade (at least it was a cheap one) and cut a small piece of the fence right off. Could have been worse.

Joe Spear
11-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Yup, I love mine. Just beware (like all gauges, if you adjust the fence to be close to the blade at 90 deg, then when you change the angle, you gotta reposition the fence. The blade doesn't like to contact the metal. DAMHIKT...

It's very easy to remember that after the second time you cut into your fence. At least it was for me.

Bill Huber
11-22-2009, 11:14 PM

Not true, I have the EB-3 and I never have to worry about that problem. That is the reason I sold the 1000, why should I have to readjust everything after I cut a 45 on a board.

Philip Johnson
11-23-2009, 7:07 AM
Micheal.... I had the same problem with Jessum with the pins installed there was just too much slop in it, I returned it and bought the 1000HD and it has been very accurate. Just got a Rockler ad in the mail and they have the 1000HD on sale for 99 bucks. Sale starts the 27th till Dec 4th. It says limited quantities, min of 20 per store and 1 per customer so take your chances on picking one up. Oh doors open at 7am for you early risers

Phil

Jason White
11-23-2009, 7:48 AM
I have one (the 1000SE) and have never been crazy about it. It's accurate, but not terribly convenient.

Specifically -- I don't like having to find an allen wrench to make some of the adjustments. I also don't like that I had to shim the fence to get it perfectly square to the table. They should've built in some kind of adjustment for this instead of me having to use pieces of paper to shim it.

I'm also among those who have accidentally cut through the aluminum fence. DOH!! :o

Jason

Good to hear that everyone likes their Incra miter gauge. I ordered the 1000HD and am waiting delivery (probably this Tuesday). I got a great deal on it; $139 plus free shipping and 8% CashBack ($11.12) through eBay/Bing. It's through ToolZone's eBay storefront.
I have the Incra LS17 router table setup and love it. The precision and repeatability was a must have for me. I expect the 1000HD miter gauge to be of the same quality and precision.
I have the Jessum Miter Excel, but I have not been able to get it dialed in. There is some play in the pin stops for the angle adjustment, even at 0 degrees (90 to the blade).
Oh yeah, if you do angle cuts, make sure you move the gauge fence away from the blade. I did the bonehead thing of cutting at 45 and sawing right through the aluminum fence on the Jessum! Ruined a blade (at least it was a cheap one) and cut a small piece of the fence right off. Could have been worse.

Doug Shepard
11-23-2009, 8:57 AM

Ya mean like this?:o

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=74215&d=1193513455

Hey folks - what's the difference between a 1000HD and 1000SE?

Bill Huber
11-23-2009, 9:04 AM
Ya mean like this?:o

Hey folks - what's the difference between a 1000HD and 1000SE?

More stops, it has 180 stops, they used the head from the V120 and not the the V27 is what it looks like.

http://www.incra.com/product_miter_1000hd.htm

Doug Shepard
11-23-2009, 9:44 AM
More stops, it has 180 stops, they used the head from the V120 and not the the V27 is what it looks like.

http://www.incra.com/product_miter_1000hd.htm

Well that was enough to get me off my duff. I've got a V27 for use on the BS and combo sander and it's great but I really like the looks of the new V120. I've been contemplating going Incra for a couple of years and just pulled the switch on the 1000HD from the same place Michael H. got his. I've been using a JDS Accumiter since before Incra was making miter gauges. It's built like a tank but not as accurate as my V27.

Dean Karavite
11-23-2009, 5:57 PM
Maybe I am missing something here, but I would like to find a way to secure very small pieces to the Incra - like cross cutting pieces as small as 3-4 inches. Though there is a track in the fence, I see no way to use it with some type of holder to keep the work piece in place during a cut. The track in the Miter Express is too far away from the edge of the sled to hold these small pieces. Does this make sense?

I did find this on a shop made jig for any type of fence and I think it will work well:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f7/cutting-very-small-pieces-table-saw-1251/

Doug Shepard
11-23-2009, 6:11 PM
Dean
I think you could use one of Incra hold-down clamps for gripping small pieces.
http://www.incra.com/product_buildit_clamp.htm
Haven't tried it myself though.

Dean Karavite
11-23-2009, 6:38 PM
Dean
I think you could use one of Incra hold-down clamps for gripping small pieces.
http://www.incra.com/product_buildit_clamp.htm
Haven't tried it myself though.

Thanks Doug. I posted too soon. My problem was the back end of clamp had nothing to grab down on to with the rail right beneath it. I put a 1/2" chunk of plywood under the back end and that was it. Along with a clamp to hold it to the fence and I am all set. I could cut a miter on a 3" piece and have my hands nowhere near the blade.

Cliff Holmes
11-23-2009, 8:12 PM
More stops, it has 180 stops

The HD also has the vernier scale for accuracy down to 0.1 degrees.

I love mine. I love all my Incra stuff. I'm a nerd.

Brian Penning
11-23-2009, 8:17 PM
Not true, I have the EB-3 and I never have to worry about that problem. That is the reason I sold the 1000, why should I have to readjust everything after I cut a 45 on a board.

Well I did with my EB-3. (Which I like a lot BTW)
Cost me a SawStop brake and repair bill for my WWII...sigh