PDA

View Full Version : Space Bags and Veneer

Dan Gill
10-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Has anyone used a Space Bag (hawked on every cable channel) as a veneer press? I was using one for storing blankets and pillows yesterday, and a little light went off in my head :rolleyes: The one I had was just a large size, but I think an extra large would accommodate a pretty good size piece of wood. Hmmmmm . . .

Jamie Buxton
10-01-2004, 11:20 AM
I thought that too: a nice big plastic bag with a built-in vacuum zip closure! I found one on the web which claimed to have walls which were 20 mils thick, and was 3'x4'. Unfortunately, when it arrived, the walls were maybe 4 mils thick. Walls that thick are likely to be punctured by panel corners and the like, so I never did try using it for veneering.

If you do find space-bags thick enough to survive vacuum-bagging, please give a shout.

Dan Gill
10-01-2004, 12:12 PM
I Unfortunately, when it arrived, the walls were maybe 4 mils thick. Walls that thick are likely to be punctured by panel corners and the like, so I never did try using it for veneering.

I thought of that, too. I'm wondering if rounding the corners of the cauls, or putting some sort of padding (cardboard?) on the corners would prevent punctures.

One of these days I'm going to try it. Of course, I've never done any veneering before, so it's still just theoretical. But the idea intrigues me. Especially the idea of saving more than a few bucks over a vacuum press. I've got a lot of Scottish in me . . .
:D

(edited to fix incomplete, barely understandable sentence.)

Ellen Benkin
10-01-2004, 12:24 PM
I don't know why they would not work if you protect the plastic from punctures and leaks. I have a friend who used a "foodsaver" machine and bag to veneer a small piece of marquetry (about 4" by 6") to an MDF substrate. As long as it holds the vacuum and doesn't leak it should work.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-01-2004, 1:40 PM
My Wife uses the Space Bags all the time for storing seasonal clothes. You would NOT believe how many sweaters you can cram into one of the large bags, and how compact these become when you hit them with the vacuum. The ones she gets come from Walmart, and they are the "genuine" Space Bags, for what that is worth. These things are VERY thick and tough. I have thought many times that they would be great for veneer work, but that is just a hunch.......I have never tried them for that. I do know that they hold a vacuum really good.......the clothes are just as pancake flat several months later as they were the day they were drawn down. What the heck, give it a try...............won't cost ya much!

Michael Ballent
10-01-2004, 1:54 PM
I too have thought about using the space bag about veneer work, glad to see that there others that have had the same thought ;)

Jamie Buxton
10-01-2004, 3:14 PM
My Wife uses the Space Bags all the time for storing seasonal clothes. You would NOT believe how many sweaters you can cram into one of the large bags, and how compact these become when you hit them with the vacuum. The ones she gets come from Walmart, and they are the "genuine" Space Bags, for what that is worth. These things are VERY thick and tough. I have thought many times that they would be great for veneer work, but that is just a hunch.......I have never tried them for that. I do know that they hold a vacuum really good.......the clothes are just as pancake flat several months later as they were the day they were drawn down. What the heck, give it a try...............won't cost ya much!

Kevin --
Do you have a micrometer? Can you measure how thick they are? Or can you double them over several times and measure the thickness of multiple layers? My nearest Wal-mart is quite a ways away.

Jamie

Charles McKinley
10-01-2004, 9:15 PM
I don't know about veneering but don't use them to move. When dropped into the back of the truck the bag split and sweaters exploded everywhere! :(

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Jamie, I can dig my Mic out and measure one this weekend. I just checked out the Space Bag Website, and they say the bags are 2.2 Millimeters thick. I sure thought they were thicker than that, but I guess not. I don't know what they are made of, polyethelene would be my guess, but they seem to be pretty tough. I may just cut some veneer on my BS sometime when I have nothing better to do, and try a space bag for a press. What the heck..............then I would know if they work for that.

According to their website, they are sold at a TON of places now. Here is a link for ya:

Space Bags (http://www.spacebag.com)

Alan Tolchinsky
10-01-2004, 11:40 PM
go to Joewoodworker.com. I made bags according to the instructions there and they are great and not too expensive. But you can get this type vinyl at most boating stores. Alan in Md.

Jamie Buxton
10-05-2004, 1:02 AM
Jamie, I can dig my Mic out and measure one this weekend.
[/URL]

Kevin --
Nudge, nudge?
Jamie

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-05-2004, 6:42 AM
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, with everything that was going on this weekend............me forgetted! I will do just that this evening, and post my findings. Sorry about that................brain fade, I guess? :eek: