PDA

View Full Version : Painting Fireplace Mantel?

Scott Hildenbrand
11-17-2009, 3:42 PM
Fireplace mantel is almost done. Nothing exciting, just paint grade poplar and MDF.

Wondering what I should paint it with though.. First time I'd messed with anything like this.. Standard oil based paint alright or should I look at something else?

I'll be using a brush to apply the finish so that it matches the trim and other items in the house and gives it an old look.

Jim Rimmer
11-17-2009, 3:47 PM
My mantle was painted with oil based paint when new and I repainted using latex (with the proper sanding and other prep). However, I live in Houston and it's a gas log and doesn't get much use. I think either type of paint will be OK as long as it is built to code and the paint doesn't get too hot.

Scott Hildenbrand
11-17-2009, 3:58 PM
I wondered about just using latex since oil is so out of favor anymore. Also thought about an enamel finish.

Thus why I'm asking... :)

Fireplace will be log fired. It's a shallow firebox @ 17" deep, opening measuring 32" square. Going to use a fireback to radiate heat outward from the firebox.

Everything is within codes or beyond as far as setbacks.

I feel much safer with mine than with what was here... It was made out of Styrofoam (bulk of it), ply and 2x4s (http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs211.snc1/7819_1228701525259_1460724611_30615500_5968274_n.j pg)..

Neal Clayton
11-17-2009, 6:44 PM
it needs to be enamel, yes. non enamel 'wall paint' stays a bit sticky, and of course, people put things on mantles, which means they'll stick too.

Scott Hildenbrand
11-17-2009, 6:49 PM
I don't ever recall sticking to my wall after leaning against it.. :)

But yes, the softness of latex worries me that it might easily mar at the top and show the indentation of anything heavy that might be on it.

But, is oil based paint not still an option? Can't get a gallon, but can get it by the quart.

Jim Rimmer
11-17-2009, 7:26 PM
Don't know where you live but in most places you can still get oil paint. You will probably need to go to some place like Sherwin Williams or another paint specialty store. I don't think the borgs carry it because it doesn't move among the DIYers.

Steve Kohn
11-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Use Sherwin-Williams Proclassic Alkyd Enamel. Expensive but worth it.

Neal Clayton
11-18-2009, 1:12 AM
yep, sherwin williams all surface enamel is still available too. not sure if there's much difference in the two.

thin it about 15-20% with penetrol and it's pretty easy to brush.