PDA

View Full Version : Camtech LaserMaster Users...

Ken Smith
11-17-2009, 2:11 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to get in touch with other CamTech LaserMaster users. I just picked up a L30v with a 100watt Synrad Firestar t-series, and I would like to get to know some other CamTech users.

If your out there....are there any SMC, Yahoo Groups, or CNC Zone Groups where we congregate?

Here's a list of my engraving toys....

LaserMaster L30v, 100 watt
Universal V-460, 50 watt
Xenetech XO1313 Rotary with Viper
Rayzist 1924 Sandcarver

Thanks,
Ken Smith
Seattle area

Dan Hintz
11-17-2009, 2:52 PM
Nice list of toys... add a ShopBot to that list and you have yourself a real powerhouse of a shop.

Ken Smith
11-18-2009, 4:54 PM
We do like our toys....:D

Miguel Pinho
11-20-2009, 3:47 PM
Hello ken

i have a l5 master series 25watt laser for 3,5 years now. I can tell you...its a good machine. Only me and another guy have it in portugal.

If you need any help contact me. I work only in memorial art.
miguel pinho

David Ford
01-27-2010, 3:50 PM
Hi Ken,

I have a Camtech L-20 LaserMaster, 25W (tests @ 33W), with the 4'x8' bed. No other toys at this point. My shop is in Trail BC, 120ish miles north of Spokane. It's good to see another Camtech user on here, a rarity from what I've seen.

Check your PM's.

Cheers,
Dave

Vaughan Raymond
01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I started out a few years ago with a Precix CNC router which I wore out. When looking for a replacement, I was interested in laser as well and got to know the then owner of Camtech. They seemed like very similar machines as it's just computer controlled motion, so I asked why don't they make a dual machine? He liked the idea so they built me one. Now I have a Camtech, 4 foot by 8 foot, 55 watt laser/router. I change over from a laser to router in about 3 minutes. They combined the control software so it all works on the same program.

The only trouble now is that if I thought there were too many things I could do with a CNC router, now the problem is double.

Vaughan Raymond

David Ford
01-28-2010, 6:36 PM
[QUOTE=Vaughan Raymond;1326790].... got to know the then owner of Camtech. They seemed like very similar machines as it's just computer controlled motion, so I asked why don't they make a dual machine? He liked the idea so they built me one.
Vaughan Raymond

Aha, so you're "that guy" Brad from Camtech told me about. Nice machine, I'm envious.

Ken Smith
01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I finally moved my L30v in to a new shop with some space to work. I hope to get things going by the end of February (this is a part time thing for me, long story). I'm pretty excited to see this thing in action.

I hadn't heard about easily switching the LaserMaster over to a router. I thought it would be easily doable. I've love to see a YouTube video of that.

I picked up a couple of other toys recently that should complement the LaserMaster well......(2) vacuum formers, an older Orion 2x2, and some other unbranded one that does 4x2.

Ken

Ken Smith
03-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I finally got around to wiring up my L30v. The previous owner kind of threw me for a loop because he had a 3 phase plug on it. Camtech had told me that it was a single phase machine, but I wanted to be certain. I opened up the power box and sure enough it was not set up for 3 phase. Not sure why he had that plug on it.

Anyway, I rewired the plug for my outlet, and fired it up. It's alive!!!! I just jogged the head around the gantry for a few minutes, then shut'er down. Time to read the manual :-)

Here's a little iPhone video I shot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7NWc9APct8

Ken

Christian Weiss
03-14-2010, 1:34 PM
I just bought a used Camtech L10 25Watt machine for $10,000.00

Chris Weiss
Mentor Ohio

Ken Smith
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Nice, I'd say you got a great deal.

My L30v seems to be a great machine so far, I just started test firing it this week. I have the manual, but it seems to be a mismatch modification of the L20, or L10 manual. There's enough difference in the products to make the differences in the manual annoying.

I haven't bought a support contract yet, but I am planning to buy it for at least one year ($750 per year). CamTech (AXYZ) has been pretty helpful to me so far even without the contract.

Ken

Ken Smith
06-07-2010, 4:05 PM
Check out my lens from my L30v. (Photo attached). I ordered a couple of new ones today. Stuff happens. :o

Ken

Art Willingham
06-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Ken,

Just found this post. I have a L20 55watt Camtech. Hard to find any info out there that is geared toward our machines.

Who have you been dealing with at Camtech? I have a couple of issues that I do not think merit the $750 outlay to get answered.

David Ford
06-18-2010, 2:35 PM
Have any of you guys had success using Thermark on metal with your Camtech laser. I missed out on a nice one-off job that offered potential for repeats because I couldn't get anywhere near a reasonable result. I've heard the same story from 2 other Camtech owners.

FWIW, my material was 1/8" plate aluminum, Thermark black spray.

Dan Hintz
06-20-2010, 8:40 AM
It's not a Camtech issue. 1/8" plate is going to suck a lot of heat away, and a 25W laser most likely doesn't really have the oomph to get the job done. You would have to go painfully slow, assuming you could make a decent mark at all (and I would be doubtful of that without trying it myself).

David Ford
06-22-2010, 12:54 PM
It's not a Camtech issue. 1/8" plate is going to suck a lot of heat away, and a 25W laser most likely doesn't really have the oomph to get the job done. You would have to go painfully slow, assuming you could make a decent mark at all (and I would be doubtful of that without trying it myself).

Thanks for backing up my conclusions, now I can put that to rest.

Mike Null
06-22-2010, 1:54 PM
Slow--yes, but you should be able to do the job with a 25 watt machine.

If it were thinner aluminum I would say no as the heat dissipates just too fast. I was able to do that on my old 25 watt ULS.

Dan Hintz
06-22-2010, 2:15 PM
Mike,

The thicker piece should remove heat from the surface much more quickly than a thin piece... metal is just a much better conductor than the surrounding air. I would want to preheat the plate with a portable electric grille to start with.

Mike Null
06-22-2010, 3:00 PM
Dan

You could be right but thicker pieces work and thinner pieces don't. I don't have the explanation. Pre heating isn't really an option for a quantity of small plates with Thermark on them.

Ken Smith
07-26-2010, 4:46 PM
Sorry, I haven't read this thread in a while. I think I need to check my account to see if I can receive notifications.

I haven't had to call CamTech yet for support. The L30v is very well built, fairly straightforward to operate, and mine runs very well. The manual blows, it's pretty much the L20 manual, and doesn't really address the differences in the models. Most noticeably, the recommended speeds in my manual are a pipe dream. Their too fast, and cause problems if you I try to run them. I suppose if I were to have mechanical difficulties or computer hardware issues with the LaserMaster, I might subscribe to the Camtech support plan. However, knowing me, I'd ping CNCZone users first.

Replacing the lens on the Camtech was about $125. I bought a couple of extra lenses directly from a manufacturer. Not too bad for my stupid mistake.

Someone on this thread was asking about laser marking with Thermark. I haven't done it yet on the Camtech. I've used both Thermark and Cermark on my Universal V460 50 watt machine. I couldn't get the Thermark to stick to stainless Zippo lighters, but the Cermark works great. I mark at 100% power, 4 for speed (slow), and 300 ppi. I've had my Universal recently tested with the Synrad Power Wizard, it came in at exactly 50 watts.

Ken

Grant Rawstorn
08-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi I just found this forum and thread. Is it still active?I have an L10 which has been sitting in my basement unused for several years due to a change in occupation. My employment contract is now up and I have the time to fire up the L10 again on its old Windows98 PC. I want to replace the PC or at least be ready to replace it when it stops, but it seems I have no way to re-install WinCNC without buying a new copy together with a new controller board, and I cant install TPCWin either as its licence is machine dependent. Not altogether surprising, it is 9 years old.Has anyone been down this track and what seem to be the best options? Especially for replacing TPCWin? I don't know that this exercise is going to make me any $$ so I'm somewhat reluctant to be spending a great deal until my market is proven (granite etching mainly).Any helpful advice will be well appreciatedCheers - Grant

Steve Kothig
08-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi Ken.
I've got an L20 Camtech, been running mine for 6 years, added a Epilog 45watt 2 years age.

Kevin Edwards
01-02-2012, 8:15 AM
Hey all you copycats, I thought I had the only CamTech ever made. Nice to find other owners as well.:p I have a Camtech L-20 LaserMaster, 25W with the 4'x8' bed. No other lasers at this point. I can't solve all the electronics isues but I know a lot about the mechanics of it. Tech support is awful, that is when they call you back. I have had banding issues for 6 years and no one could help me. I finally figured out what the problem was and fixed it but now I have another issue. Either an egg shaped sproket, bent shaft or an off center sproket hole on the x axis system. Glad to help if needed but I am limited to the L20.
Happy New Year

Kevin Edwards
01-02-2012, 8:16 AM
Whhat was the cost and effort needed to upgrade?

Steve Kothig
01-09-2012, 1:48 PM
Welcome to the Camtech club, I have a L20 25watt with the 4' x 8 ' bed. I also have an Epilog 45 watt.
As far as the Camtech machine, they are a good large format machine, but if you want any support, good luck. I've owned mine for 6 year and all the tech guys I used to talk to are all gone, and as Kevin stated they only want your money.

Joseph McCabe
02-22-2012, 9:32 AM
Hello All,

I wish i had found this thread a few years ago when i had problems with my then newly acquired but used Lasermaster L10 4x8 bed. It had been upgraded to the L20 software by the previous owner i was told and it has a Synrad 25w laser.

I agree with the general consensus that Camtech support is the worst. When i called them for support with the problem i was having they tried to sell me on an $11,000 motor and software upgrade. They simply stated that they do not offer any support for the model i have anymore! I got really lucky when i found a former lasermaster owner who told me of a particular Camtech engineer whom i was able to track down on the internet. He was kind enough to walk me through several troubleshooting tasks which eventually led to the problem. He was a great help and wouldn't even accept any kind of payment!

I wonder if Camtech realizes that their poor service (or lack thereof) to help 2nd hand owners of their machines drastically reduces their resale value. I'll never buy another used Camtech laser as a result of this!

Anyhow, i use mine mainly for engraving black granite and have been recently experimenting with glass. Do any of you know how to price glass engraving? I have started a relationship with a local glass company and they are interested in utilizing my services for their customers, but i would like to know how to price out the work. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Chad Paulsen
05-14-2012, 9:47 PM
Yes, i also have had some problems with my L20 camtech laser and anyone who can maybe help me out with a few things the laser is doing would be appreciated since there tech support is awful which seems to be the overall majority on here.

Pat McMorrow
05-24-2012, 7:09 AM
I am just stopping by to say hi. I have a Lasermaster L10 25 watt with a 4 x8 bed. I use it to laser etch granite. My wife is able to paint the granite and the finished product is stunning. She has a blog and in one post she featured one of her painted pieces. http://holimess.blogspot.com/2012/05/still-life-garden-orchard-and-vine.html

Douglas J Miller
05-24-2012, 9:09 AM
Wow, Pat! That looks great. Well done!

Bet she didn't paint that in an hour. Lol.

Oh, and welcome to the Creek!

Pat McMorrow
05-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Yea, I little more than an hour that's for sure Lol. We have some really nice stuff and what I like most is it looks like the color is in the stone and not on the surface. The problem is they really are premium one of a kind items and I just don't know how to market them considering the amount of time involved in creating them. So for now painting etched granite is just an expensive hobby.

Pete Cseppento
10-01-2012, 7:13 AM
Hi guys and gals , Pete here I just recently purchased a L5 cam tech , i Need some assistance, After we got it home and set up , With a couple late nights not figuring out why it wouldn't laser and it kept giving us errors , we got it to work .
Now the problem we have is it puts banding across the stone as it engraves, (banding)
I checked and tried the files on a second laser our epilog 45 helix, all was fine , So i checked the dc voltage , in the manual it says it should be at 30 volts dc ,and not less than 28.vdc if so contact cam tech I metered 26-2 and down to 24.5 vdc, yeah Ive being waiting a week for a return call , thinking that wont happen will try one last time
, But my question is If the dc voltage is to low does this cause it or could it be the 25 w laser tube ,
I just got this was hoping to do some bigger etching , but now I dont know as it doesn't work or have the quality of the epilog
if i can fix it then maybe ,
any one have any ideas
Thanks

Kevin Edwards
08-06-2013, 9:27 PM
HI Chad, did you ever get help with your machine? I have figured out a lot of problems with mine. If I can help, please let me know. I have an L20.

Yes, i also have had some problems with my L20 camtech laser and anyone who can maybe help me out with a few things the laser is doing would be appreciated since there tech support is awful which seems to be the overall majority on here.

Richard Mangione
09-19-2016, 10:03 AM
I have a 55 watt Camtech and Thermark told me to heat the parts on a hotplate or with a torch. I've tested it on small parts and it works well.

Neil Paisnel
01-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Just here initially to say hello
A mate has a Lasermaster L30V
We have just fitted new laser, aftermarket one from China.
Big glass tube thing.

All working great, but going to need help in future with software, like copies of original software etc.
Just here to say hello at the moment though

https://i.postimg.cc/Nfv2zpdf/4-DE9494-E-D0-BB-4-F18-AAB7-2-AF69-EDA158-F.jpg

Neil Paisnel
01-01-2020, 12:55 PM
All images are here

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2vbzzo040/

And if anyone wanted them, can supply the 3-d printer files I made for the nozzle suction tube holders that you may see in the pictures