PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount the workbench vise

Anthony Whitesell
11-17-2009, 10:03 AM
My bench top is on hold until I get the rails and bridge built to flatten it. So I started thinking about mounting the vise. It is a 10" wide vise and I plan on recessing it such that the fixed face is flat with the benchtop front edge. My question is, should I align the left edge of the vise to be flush with the left end of the table or should I place it more in towards the center of the table?

Sean Hughto
11-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I think you are better off having it all the way at one end. There are times it is useful to be able to put a board inthe vise such that you can work on the end hanging in space.

Anthony Whitesell
11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
I guess I should have been more clear, Should I mount the vise a few inches in from the end toward the center of the table, or flush with the end of the benchtop?

Doug Shepard
11-17-2009, 10:14 AM
I've seen it both ways but the vast majority seem to go with the end flush with the bench end.

Chris Tsutsui
11-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Flush with the end is what I decided on with my 9" vise and I'm glad I didn't move the vise closer towards the center. I used hard maple.

Sean Hughto
11-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Presumably you are going to mount wooden liners (aka chops) in the vise. The chop for the moving jaw should extend to the end, but the metal part of the vise itself, might well be a few inches from the end. I don't have any ready good shots of my vise, but in the lower left corner of this shot, you can see the chop - it extends a similar distance on the other side to be even with the end of the bench.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/2885975491_ba5ae265fb.jpg

Larry Browning
11-17-2009, 1:32 PM
Are you left handed? If so, mount the front vise on the right and the tail vise on the left. I did this and man what a difference it makes for me! Maybe, i haven't looked hard but don't think a left handed bench is even available to buy anywhere.

Anthony Whitesell
11-17-2009, 1:45 PM
I was trying to remember which way that worked. Thank goodness I'm a righty. The left end of the workbench is against a wall. (actually the workbench is in a corner with the back and right sides against walls).

glenn bradley
11-17-2009, 3:44 PM
My 9" vises are mounted with the rear jaw in a pocket of the frame much as you describe (recessed but, taken a step further). The jaws are 14-1/2" and the vise jaw is flush with the adjacent edge of the bench.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=86588&d=1208313092

Anthony Whitesell
11-17-2009, 8:03 PM
I know what you are describing, especially after seeing the picture. I saw a video tutorial for building a workbench and they did what you described. The rear bench side jaw is mounted in a hole (pocket) in the underside of the bench top.

How much wider than the jaws should you or I make the wooden jaws? I see Glenn's are +5 1/2".

Sean Hughto
11-17-2009, 8:17 PM
I'm not sure your question is directed to me, but for what it's worth, here is my answer: suit yourself. Seriously, the precise measurement doesn't matter very much. There is a limit in that the vise will be prone to rack if the chop adds too much width, but there is no signicant difference between extending 2" on a side or 3" etc.

Anthony Whitesell
11-17-2009, 9:31 PM
Not directed to anyone in particular, just trying to get a feeling for what people have don't with and without success. I hadn't even considered allow the wooden jaws over hang the vise.

My vise doesn't come with a pop-up dog. What solutions are out there for that?

Michael Schwartz
11-17-2009, 9:42 PM
My bench top is on hold until I get the rails and bridge built to flatten it.

I built the Roubo style bench featured in Christopher Schwartz's (no relationship) book and I have a leg vice on the front left leg. Every bench I have ever seen (dozens) has a vice somewhere in this vicinity.

If you have a decent jointer plane just hand plane the top flat. You can probably do it in the time it takes you to build the router jig alone.

Sean Hughto
11-17-2009, 10:05 PM
= My vise doesn't come with a pop-up dog. What solutions are out there for that?

Use a thick chop and drill a 3/4 inch hole in it to accomodate a short cylinderical dog (or two): http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31127&cat=1,41637

glenn bradley
11-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Not directed to anyone in particular, just trying to get a feeling for what people have don't with and without success. I hadn't even considered allow the wooden jaws over hang the vise.

My vise doesn't come with a pop-up dog. What solutions are out there for that?

My vise did have a pop up dog but I still put 3 dog holes in my front jaw piece. These align with three rows of dog holes on the bench leading away from each vise, front and end. Here's a shot of the center rows while the top was under construction:

joe milana
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
My vise did have a pop up dog but I still put 3 dog holes in my front jaw piece. These align with three rows of dog holes on the bench leading away from each vise, front and end. Here's a shot of the center rows while the top was under construction:

Glen, Nice bench. How is the MDF holding up around the dog holes? I would think the holes would want to enlarge and swell around the holes over time.?!?!

Bob Sanders
11-18-2009, 4:17 PM
I have my vice mounted to a 2' by 2' piece of plywood which I clamp to the workbench when and only-when I need it.