PDA

View Full Version : Turned my first call today!

Jim Ketron
09-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Well here is my first call:D It's a deer call the wood is fiddleback maple that Sparky Paessler Gave me.
Thanks Sparky thats a beautiful Pice of wood!:D
Jim

Dick Parr
09-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Very nice for your first one Jim. I like the wood.

Steve Stube
10-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Looks good and works too, I say that because grain pattern is remarkable and there weren't any whitetail at the back fence this evening. A "nice" guy would not be calling our Michigan whitetail all the way to Texas. Jim, how-a-bout on Nov. 15 th you put it away for a couple of weeks. Make that the 14 th cause they need time to run back up here.

fiddleback maple, is that a hard or soft Maple? Does fiddleback refer to the way (orientation) of saw cut relative to the grain. Like in quarter sawed Oak or is it a type of Maple?

Gary Max
10-01-2004, 5:00 AM
Even better---I dare you to stand in my front yard with that. We got so many deer running around the would run over you. Oh it turned out real nice.

Michael Stafford
10-01-2004, 7:50 AM
Jim, you do fine work. Love seeing it posted particularly because you always have nice clear photos unlike some of us...

Ken Fitzgerald
10-01-2004, 8:38 AM
Excellent work, Jim! You've moved on to using that new shop!

Glenn Hodges
10-01-2004, 9:47 AM
Looks great Jim, I always thought I might try one of those.

Jim Becker
10-01-2004, 9:59 AM
Looks great, Jim! Nice job. Of course, around here there is no need for a deer call...they "come calling" all by themselves! (and not necessarily in small numbers...)

Shawn Battagler
10-01-2004, 11:33 AM
That's great. I built a few turkey calls last year. I still haven't made one with great sound yet. How does your deer call sound? Did you order the guts or scavenge them from another call? And finally, how long before I can expect to find one in my mailbox?

Sparky Paessler
10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Jim
That looks great! I like tthe design that you used and the wood does look good.

Steve
I belive it is soft maple. Fiddleback is a reference to the type of figure in the wood.

Dennis Peacock
10-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Looks great Jim!! Nicely done. Now....you calling all those deer now? :p :D

Jim Ketron
10-01-2004, 4:58 PM
Jim, you do fine work. Love seeing it posted particularly because you always have nice clear photos unlike some of us...
Thanks Michael I will have to be honest with you I have a cheap camera Its aweful!
when I can I use the scanner when it has a black background I just leave the lid up:D
Jim

Jim Ketron
10-01-2004, 5:19 PM
That's great. I built a few turkey calls last year. I still haven't made one with great sound yet. How does your deer call sound? Did you order the guts or scavenge them from another call? And finally, how long before I can expect to find one in my mailbox?
Shawn I would also like to make some turkey calls!
The Call sounds as good as my Knight & Hale calls that I have been using for years!
I orderd a bushing kit and some reed kits to make mine
If you have a Pen mandrel you can buy a bushing kit and you are ready to go also if you don't buy the pre drilled blanks you will need a 31/64 drill bit and a 3/4 drill bit thats what I used.
Look here for kit's this is where I got mine http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/catalog/project_kits.html
here is another one The only thing about this site you cant order online you have to call or fax an order:(

http://www.hutproducts.com/duck9.html
Jim

Jim Ketron
10-01-2004, 5:21 PM
Looks great Jim!! Nicely done. Now....you calling all those deer now? :p :D
Thanks Dennis
I'm going to try it out Sat thats opening day for bow season:D
Wish me luck!:D
Jim

Jim Fancher
10-01-2004, 5:55 PM
I haven't hunted a day in my life, but that's a pretty piece of wood. Great job!

Michael Stafford
10-01-2004, 6:02 PM
Jim, how about coming here and killing some deer. Last night on the news they reported that there were 14,000 deer/car collisions in NC. We have too many deer and they are becoming pests. We have had two incidents in our area where deer jumped through glass doors at schools and killed themselves. They ravage our gardens and eat our landscapes. This is peanut country among other things and the motto is "Save a peanut, kill a deer!".

After hunting you can come by the house, have a cold glass of tea on the deck and at dusk we can watch the mosquitos try to mate with the geese. We have big mosquitos here...

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
10-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Good looking call, Jim. Wish I could be with you during the hunt.