PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Router for Router Table

Bob Betker
11-16-2009, 9:24 PM
I just picked up a Veritas Router Table Top on Craigslist last week. I am looking for any suggestions/ recommendations on which routers can be adjusted from the topside of the table. I intend to dedicate this router to this use only so I don't need a unit with both a fixed and plunge base.
Thanks.

Fred Voorhees
11-16-2009, 9:40 PM
I just picked up a Veritas Router Table Top on Craigslist last week. I am looking for any suggestions/ recommendations on which routers can be adjusted from the topside of the table. I intend to dedicate this router to this use only so I don't need a unit with both a fixed and plunge base.
Thanks.

Bob there are others that will be mentioned and they are fine....however, you will also hear about the Hitachi M12V or a later version of this particular router. I have had this router in my table for years and love it. Very powerful and gets the job done.

scott spencer
11-16-2009, 10:11 PM
The Freud FT1700, FT3000, and the Triton routers are the only ones I know of with full above table bit changes without a special bent wrench. The Freuds have above table height adjustment and height lock too....not sure about the Tritons.

IIRC, the Milwaukee 5625 and Bosch 1619 have above table height adjust, but not the height lock and don't offer the above table bit changes without a special wrench.

Roger Jensen
11-16-2009, 10:43 PM
I have the Hitachi M12V with this same table. I have the Veritas Router Bit Jack, which I like but doesn't offer you the above table adjustment. It took some getting used to, but offers good adjustment flexibility.

Don Jarvie
11-17-2009, 2:41 PM
I have the PC 7518 (fixed base) in my table and the Hitachi M12V for regular use.

The flexability of the plunge is the main reason

Ray Newman
11-17-2009, 4:07 PM
I just looked on the Lee Valley router table page for some information about their router table top. After looking at the pictures and reading the description, I am ‘sorta’ at a loss if you can adjust a router from the top. www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=41793&cat=1,43053,43885 (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=41793&cat=1,43053,43885)

Now maybe the feature you desire will depend upon the router design. Anyway, I would call Lee Valley and see if they can recommend a router to fit your needs.

Lee Valley Customer Service:
From USA: 1-800-267-8735
From Canada: 1-800-267-8761

One bit of advice that I was told by an old time millwright; At the end of the day, blow out the router with a long stream of compressed to clear any dust, debris, etc., that might have found its way into the motor housing.

I have a Woodpeck PRl lift for my router table and a fixed base PC7518 -- The Beast --mounted underneath. So far -- 10+ years -- the Beast has served me very well. The lift is very convenient.
www.woodpeck.com/precisionrouterlift.html

Brent Ring
11-17-2009, 4:14 PM
+1 for the HItachi M12V- mine is connected to a Woodpecker lift.

Bill Arnold
11-17-2009, 5:09 PM
Another user of the M12V. Mine is on a Jet(Jessem) lift.

Wayne Cannon
11-17-2009, 7:39 PM
It's hard to beat the P-C 7518 for table use.

For serious table work, you want a router that has a large (e.g., 3-1/2" to 4") base opening to allow large bits, such as a panel-raising bit, to drop slightly below the top surface of the table. There are not many routers with large base openings.

It is very useful to have a router than can raise the collet significantly above the top surface of the table. For example, a 3/8" plate plus a 1/2" coping (or other) sled will require over 3/4" between the top of the table and the bottom of the bit's cutting edge. Good collet extension also very handy for changing bits. It is unusual to find any signicant collet travel beyond the base for any plunge router.

I've added a 3-1/2 hp Triton for a second router table. I had to open up the base opening. It has no through-the-base adjustment (the 2-1/2 hp Triton does), so I'm reaching under the table to adjust the height. Fortunately, it has a two-speed bit depth adjustment (a coarse rack-and-pinion plus a fine screw adjustment) which makes it easy. It does have good collet travel, especially for a plunge router, plus I have the 7518 to fall back on.

Bob Betker
11-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Ray: I think you are right. After looking at it again, I don't think there is a way to adjust from the topside. I will call Lee Valley tomorrow to make sure and get their recommendations. Thanks.

paul cottingham
11-18-2009, 12:48 AM
I have the Triton mounted in the Veritas table, and I really like it. To be sure, I have to reach under to adjust it, but I don't find that all that onerous.