PDA

View Full Version : Follow up to "I'm Upset"...gloat?

Mike Cruz
11-16-2009, 9:00 PM
I started a post a couple of weeks ago about how I was upset about missing out on some CL deals lately. While it has become quite uncanny how for the last 6 months or so, not only have I been "the lucky one" that the person called back, but even when I missed them, people would at least respond. As of lately, I have responded to a bunch of CL listings, and the people just don't get back to you...the listings are still active, but no responses. Now, this isn't an email issue. I know my emails go through... it's just weird.

ANYWAY, this is a follow up to that original post, because, in that OP, I mentioned missing a 60 gallon compressor for $50. Well, it turns out I didn't miss it after all. I kept calling the guy for about 3 more days until he finally answered. He had a couple of interested buyers, but they kept asking him questions that he didn't know the answer to...mostly because I don't think he really knew what he had...both in the sense of not knowing about compressors and that $50 was WAY underpriced. I think the other folks were afaid of what was wrong with it.

When I finally got him to go to the compressor and verify that it was a single phase 6 HP motor, and he said he would sell it to me for $40, I thought I would take a chance.

I went and picked it up...in the rain. It was laying on its side...not covered. He explained that it came from a tire shop. (That would explain the messy condition it was in, for sure.) I took it home. Spent quite a while cleaning it up. Paper towel after paper towel. Wiping off the grease, oil and grime. I downloaded the manual. And went to work figuring out what I NEEDED to replace, and what I WANTED to replace. After talking to the nice folks at Campbell Hausfeld, I decided to replace pretty much EVERYTHING except the motor and pump. So, new belt, front and back guard for the pulley area, pressure switch, pressure gauge, discarge tube, everything. All told, I put in another $200 (with shipping). I changed the oil (twice) with Mobile One synthetic oil. Fired her up...and....SHE PURRED!!!!!!!!!!

Now, that doesn't include the bushings, piping, shut off valve and regulator that you see on the right side of the tank. That was another $100 (mainly because I ran 3/4" piping through my shop and got a 3/4" regulator...$85). But when you buy a compressor new, that stuff usually isn't included anyway.

So for $250, I got a 60 gallon 6 HP motor compressor! I thought I did well...

Jim Rimmer
11-16-2009, 9:16 PM
Nice CL find. Get ready for the "you suck" post. ;)

Robert Reece
11-16-2009, 9:28 PM
Eeek! Is that plastic pipe running up the wall? Can't tell clearly, but it looks white to me.

Brace yourself for some commentary from the compressor piping police. :eek:

Bruce Wrenn
11-16-2009, 9:34 PM
Talked to my brother tonight. He recently bought a used Maxima from CL, for over 2K under blue book price. He thought for sure it was scam, but upon talking to the seller, found out that the IRS was going to seize it for taxes. He was willing to sell for back taxes. Seller showed him the letter from IRS, just to prove it was real. Once in a pawn shop, there were a bunch of nice tools, all with same name and phone # on them. Thinking they may have been stolen, I called phone #. Guy said he owed back child support and Judge Green ( he was a true character) told him if he had $500 by five PM, he didn't need to bring his toothbrush with him. I still use those routers.

Dean Karavite
11-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Good job Mike! Just to let you know, I recently sold something on CL, a table saw, and made sure to respond to everyone. One guy wrote me three times in a few hours (while I was asleep) and seemed upset I had not responded to him asap. He did NOT get the call.

Harold Burrell
11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Nice CL find. Get ready for the "you suck" post. ;)

Oh, oh...Let me do it...

*ahem*

You suck.

There.

Thank you.

:cool:

Chris Tsutsui
11-17-2009, 2:12 AM
You totally suck.

I paid $150 for an abused craigslist 33 gallon Coleman Powermate and my compressor had a broken regulator so I put in another $50 in parts and now I've just got a compressor that's super loud and still has a leak somewhere that is really annoying me.

Mine also had a rusted up drain plug at the bottom that was tough to remove and when I removed it all this rusted flaky water came out... I can only imagine what the bottom inside of the tank looks like.

After this experience, my next compressor is going to be a "brand new" IR or Quincy.

Mike Cruz
11-17-2009, 7:57 AM
Thanks guys. YES THAT IS 3/4" PVC PIPE!!!!!!!! We had it in my old shop whithout issue. It is rated at 480 PSI. I'm running 90 PSI. EVERYTHING else in the system is rated lower than the pipe. The tank is rated at 135, the rubberhose going to the wall is 200, the relief valve is set to 150 (I believe). Yes, I understand that you have to be careful not to slam into it. I have not done it yet, but I will protect the fittings protruding from the wall with wood blocks. Thanks for the concern, though. Truthfully, I was expecting a flogging for it. Surprised to not get more of a reaction to that...:rolleyes:

daniel lane
11-17-2009, 2:33 PM
Truthfully, I was expecting a flogging for it. Surprised to not get more of a reaction to that...:rolleyes:

Here, let me help:

WHAT?! PVC FOR THE COMPRESSED AIR PIPING??!? ARE YOU CRAZY?!?! :p

Oh, and yes, you suck on the CL find. ;)

daniel

William Cummins
11-17-2009, 2:56 PM
So for $250, I got a 60 gallon 6 HP motor compressor! I thought I did well...

So you got a maybe 4hp compressor, probably closer to 3hp (kinda like the 5hp craftsman shop vac that plugs into the 120v wall outlets) that sells for about $400 on sale new, for $250 I guess you did not get taken too bad! Post up a picture of the motor tag and/or the FLA and running amps and we can get a real HP for the motor ( I would expect it to not to list a HP on the motor tag, although I have actually seen some say 6-7hp on the tank and 3-4 on the motor!)

Mike Cruz
11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
No need to take a pic of the motor. When I called CH to find out what a replacement motor would cost if I need one, they told me that the 6HP rating is peak. That is, apparently, how they have to label them...by their peak power. It is a 3.2 HP IIRC. And is 220 only.

The new CH 6 HP 60 gallons are about $700. That is why I think I got a good deal. The motor, pump and tank are without fault, and otherwise, it has all new parts.

Looking at CL, the closest I have seen in price is $400. It may not need any parts replaced, but it is $150 more than what I paid, and ALL of its parts are however old the compressor is.

Hey, it wasn't a STEAL, but gloatalbe...I think.

Technically, I could have just changed the oil and put on a new belt for under $20 for a total out of pocket of $60...

Myk Rian
11-18-2009, 2:53 PM
That tank looks like crap. You ought to paint it. :D

Mike Cruz
11-18-2009, 7:49 PM
I actually thought of doing that. But then I thought of the phrase "lipstick on a pig" and reconsidered. Basically, it came down to the amount of work it would take VS projects that needed to get done. Some day, I might. Right now, there are a whole slew of higher priorities.

Man, these margaritas are gooooooooood....:D

Marty Paulus
11-19-2009, 6:12 PM
Mike,

Glad to see you have your priorities in order there. :D You sound like me for those silly types of things on the to do list.