PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Makeover

Bob Borzelleri
11-16-2009, 8:55 PM
I've decided to install my dust collector as though it is going to be around for awhile. Up 'til now, the Grizzley G440 has been standing in the corner with a length of 7" pipe necked down to a 6" pipe and then through a 6" blast get to a 6" flex hose and then on to whatever I'm using at the time.

I never completed a duct system that was originally going to hang from the ceiling because I was thinking about relocating the DC outside and I wanted to run the ductwork beneath the floor (2-4' raised wood floor). By continually telling myself that I didn't want to do this more than once, I didn't do it even once very completely. I have now come to the point where it is time to do something both more versatile and "permanent".

It's probably just as well that I've waited this long because shortly after retiring and finishing the shop I found myself consulting and being tied up almost as much as when I was working full time. Now that I have come to my senses and retired again, the DC system is in my sights.

A couple of things are in flux at the moment. The biggest is that I don't have a clear concept of what the 6" pipes coming up through the floor are going to look like. I would like to have the fittings be as unobtrusive as possible but since they will have to have a blast gate when not hooked up to a machine (everything is on wheels and it's best for me to have the option to move things around as I need them or just space), I have an image of things to trip over. Maybe they need to be boxes painted red.

The other is my need to come to grips with the 7" intake on the G440. It seems silly to neck down to 6" right off the intake, but I wonder if a single length of 7" is either optimal or adequate as opposed to two or more 7" lengths which would neck down to 6" as they head toward a machine or machine station.

I'd like to see any photos anyone has that depict their pipes emerging from the floor. In addition, any intelligence or other advice about running stuff under floor or how to maximize the 7" intake would be appreciated.

For now, the DC is staying inside. Maybe in the spring, I'll kick it out on its own, but for now, it is safe from eviction.

Thanks,

...Bob

Bob Borzelleri
11-17-2009, 9:53 AM
And Heidi Klum is scheduled to come to the dust collection system dedication.

Bas Pluim
11-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I'd like to see any photos anyone has that depict their pipes emerging from the floor. In addition, any intelligence or other advice about running stuff under floor or how to maximize the 7" intake would be appreciated.

Alan Schafter, who is also here on SMC, has the most comprehensive and sophisticated DC system I've ever seen.

Some pictures:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P5220035.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/Odc-4.JPG

I think this is his older, more "primitive" setup...his new blast gates are automated and work on compressed air.

If you want to see more, head over to the North Carolina Woodworker site and look at his photo gallery ("Alan in Little Washington").

Bob Borzelleri
11-17-2009, 1:05 PM
Thanks Bas. This is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for. I'll head on over to the NC woodworkers site to check out more.

...Bob

Mark Warwick
11-18-2009, 2:19 AM
I tried to check out their site however you have to join to see and they only accept members in their local area?

Bob Borzelleri
11-18-2009, 6:14 AM
Mark...

It only looks that way what with all the disclaimers and such. When the dust settles, it's pretty much like all other "members only" forums. You have to join to post (not to mention being a resident of NC or a few other select states), but you can pretty much do other stuff like search and view.

I searched for "Alan in Little Washington" and was able to view his gallery.

...Bob

glenn bradley
11-18-2009, 8:48 AM
The other is my need to come to grips with the 7" intake on the G440. It seems silly to neck down to 6" right off the intake, but I wonder if a single length of 7" is either optimal or adequate as opposed to two or more 7" lengths which would neck down to 6" as they head toward a machine or machine station.

I use a 6" PVC coupler, the O.D. fit into the 7" inlet of my G0440 almost perfectly. I put a bead of silicone around the coupler "neck" and slide it in. Been there ever since. That being said, If I had not been connecting to my tools about 8 lineal feet away from the inlet, I would have followed conventional wisdom which states "keep the duct as large as possible for as long as possible" so your 7" runs idea holds merit.

Bob Borzelleri
11-18-2009, 9:37 AM
Thanks for the reply, Glenn. Makes sense to me. All I have to do now is find 7x7x6 wyse that don't cost as much as a service on my car.:D

...Bob

Jim Bennett
11-20-2009, 8:54 AM
Oneida's 7x7x6 wye is $40.80. If you can get your car serviced (beyond an oil change) for that, I want the name of your mechanic! Of course it is sheet metal and you may be looking for PVC.
http://store.oneida-air.com/7x7x645degwyejoint.aspx