PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell homecraft lathe

keith ouellette
11-16-2009, 5:58 PM
I saw one ,36" between centers with a 1/2hp motor and 4 speeds that are changed by moving the belt. The lathe is bolted to a piece of plywood and the motor is bolted to a separate board behind the lathe and I don't know the manufacturer of the motor. The lather itself looks like its in good shape and is all cast iron.

Is it worth $150. Thats the asking price.

Josiah Bartlett
11-16-2009, 6:00 PM
You have to ask yourself if it is worth that price to you- what are you going to be doing with it? If it will help you do what you want it to, then $150 seems fair. If it is just going to take up space in your shop then probably not.

george wilson
11-16-2009, 7:44 PM
If it is an OLD model,with a decently thick cast iron bed,I'd get it. I had an old Delta years ago. Worked just fine. Got rid of it when I had no place to store it but an outside shed. Regretted it for years,but now have an old 1950's Oliver.

keith ouellette
11-16-2009, 8:10 PM
You have to ask yourself if it is worth that price to you- what are you going to be doing with it? If it will help you do what you want it to, then $150 seems fair. If it is just going to take up space in your shop then probably not.

If it is an OLD model,with a decently thick cast iron bed,I'd get it. I had an old Delta years ago. Worked just fine. Got rid of it when I had no place to store it but an outside shed. Regretted it for years,but now have an old 1950's Oliver.

As to it being worth it to me, I'm not sure. I want a lathe but I would like one I can make large bowls with. I could only make small ones with this lathe because the head can't be turned. On the other hand I'm not going to be able to afford the kind of lathe I want so this is better than nothing.

As to the bed. It looks like thick cast iron. Its an older model to be sure and has a large (looks to be 10 to 12") tool rest.

I guess I should have also asked if 1/2 hp is enough power for a lathe.

Paul Atkins
11-16-2009, 8:39 PM
There are at least 3 types of Homecraft lathes made by Delta. Each has it's advantages. The first one here I don't know about, or what kind of bearings it has. The second one has a cast zinc or aluminum headstock, but has oil bath Timken bearings that are adjustable. As seen in a recent post these are not 'robust'. The third is like the one Del Stubbs used for 20 years and like the first one I got. One thing I like about this one is that unlike my 1460's I can change the belt without taking the headstock apart. 1/2 h.p is plenty for these lathes, but will take a 3/4 horse. That is all I can think of before dinner.

keith ouellette
11-18-2009, 12:14 AM
There are at least 3 types of Homecraft lathes made by Delta. Each has it's advantages. The first one here I don't know about, or what kind of bearings it has. The second one has a cast zinc or aluminum headstock, but has oil bath Timken bearings that are adjustable. As seen in a recent post these are not 'robust'. The third is like the one Del Stubbs used for 20 years and like the first one I got. One thing I like about this one is that unlike my 1460's I can change the belt without taking the headstock apart. 1/2 h.p is plenty for these lathes, but will take a 3/4 horse. That is all I can think of before dinner.

it is the first one of the three pictures. But does not have the small 'table' in front of the head stock. But the shape of all the part are identical to the one in the first picture you have shown. I'm still on the fence as to buying it.
I would have responded sooner but couldn't find my OP because it had been moved.

Norm Zax
11-18-2009, 7:02 AM
1/2 HP is too low for any bowl above 10" (taking into account off balance blank). Unless your in to turning for pens, small kits and coin bowls, go for 1 HP or higher. You may suffice at first, but will probably look to replace it shortly. my 2c

cody michael
11-18-2009, 7:17 AM
i bought this

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34706

they go on sale a;; the time and sign up for there news letter and you can get 20% off coupons. i turned a 10-11 inch bowl from lucust and it works great. i'm very happy and the price is right

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2009, 8:47 AM
Keith if you are wanting to turn bowls I would say the slow speed is way to fast for out of balance pieces. I would look at the Delta 46-460, Jet 1220 or the Rikon. All will do 12" bowls and work real well for you.