PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at Sculpting

Kevin Davis
11-16-2009, 4:40 PM
I wanted to capture my love of holding my little girl's hand. This way, as she grows older and doesn't want to hold her dad's hand, this will serve as a reminder. I went from two blocks of bass wood using hand chisels, my hand as a model and my daughter when I could get her to hold still. The stand is an ebonized piece of mahogany.

Harold Burrell
11-16-2009, 5:18 PM
Kevin...

I know you made that for you...and you told us why, but...

I wonder if you have any idea just how precious that will be to your daughter years from now. It literally gives me chills to think how much it would mean to me to have a carving of my father's hand...created by my father's hands.

Thank you for sharing this with us...

John Keeton
11-16-2009, 7:11 PM
Kevin, that is stunning! I am serious - it is very good, both in concept and the actual execution of the carving. Daughter's are special, and that is a very special gift.

For a first time, or hundreth time - just fantastic work!

Bruce Volden
11-16-2009, 8:59 PM
W O W ! ! !

Bruce

Jim Rimmer
11-16-2009, 9:18 PM
Kevin...

I know you made that for you...and you told us why, but...

I wonder if you have any idea just how precious that will be to your daughter years from now. It literally gives me chills to think how much it would mean to me to have a carving of my father's hand...created by my father's hands.

Thank you for sharing this with us...

+1 or more to what Harold said.

Jim Becker
11-16-2009, 9:41 PM
Wow...that's really wonderful work and an outstanding and thoughtful project.

David Gendron
11-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Real nice work. real nice execution! Real nice overall!! The finished product is absolutly beautyfull!

gary Zimmel
11-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Fantastic Kevin.

And one more to what Harold said...
Thank you for the post.

Kevin Davis
11-17-2009, 10:38 AM
You are all too kind. The funny thing about woodwork is the win-win nature of it. We all enjoy creating and then giving it away. Back to making shavings and dust.

John Thompson
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
I love the beauty and detail of both the piece and the concept behind it. I would have never thought of the concept but sure glad you did as that is just as much a work of art as the piece itself...

Ken Shoemaker
11-17-2009, 7:55 PM
Without question, that is one of the finest pieces of woodworking and accompaning sentiments I have seen one "The Creek". I'm honored to see it. Thanks.

Philip Rodriquez
11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Kevin, you did an amazing job on that. The design and execution are spectacular!

Rick Potter
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Kevin,

Sell the saw. You have a new career. The idea, as well as the workmanship is outstanding. It is ART. May I suggest you see about copywriting (or whatever they do) the idea. I can see Chinese made resin knockoffs arriving soon at shops near you.

Rick Potter

Kevin Davis
11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Rick,

It sounds like my wife put you up to this.:) You are cracking me up. Thanks for the kind words. I guess I will have to post some more projects.

Kevin

Sergio Arze
11-28-2009, 9:00 AM
that is very impressive, my dad made a pair of praying hands for his mother when she passed. Crafts such as this are priceless.

Wayne Hendrix
12-10-2009, 3:41 PM
Kevin,

Sell the saw. You have a new career. The idea, as well as the workmanship is outstanding. It is ART. May I suggest you see about copywriting (or whatever they do) the idea. I can see Chinese made resin knockoffs arriving soon at shops near you.

Rick Potter

Thats really not a joke, you could easily sell copies of this. It is such a good idea and so well executed that you should look at protecting the intellectual property rights of the project. You dont want to see someone else profiting from your work and inspiration.