PDA

View Full Version : New Stanley SW Planes??

George Farra
11-16-2009, 2:41 PM
Hi All

I understand that Stanley has brought back to market thier SW handplanes. To date, I've been a power tool user but realize there is a benefit to having some handtools in the shop.

I'm not sure I want to go the "buy used" route, so I was curious what the verdict is on these planes? Are they worth considering?

TIA

George

Adam Woznicki
11-16-2009, 2:49 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1202837#poststop

Prashun Patel
11-16-2009, 3:05 PM
Haven't heard anything good about them.
IMHO, your better off getting something from Veritas or Lie Nielsen if you want new.
If you are crazy like me, and need another hobby like a hole in the head, then you might consider buying used on the 'bay.

Most suggest starting with a low angle block like the Stanley 60 1/2.

But if you want to get hooked, try a #4 smoother...

Graham Hughes (CA)
11-16-2009, 4:21 PM
Reputedly the tote is too squarish, the depth adjuster has a lot of play and the low angle jack has serious casting issues. Apart from that they seem to be perfectly usable. The most serious issue is that they're not much cheaper than the existing LV/LN offerings which have less issues and an excellent customer service reputation.

As to going used, I have a healthy selection of used and new planes and the used ones work very well—however tuning them is a hobby in its own right. I've been very happy with my LV planes and would readily recommend them to others.

Jim Koepke
11-17-2009, 12:08 AM
I have lots of time and little money, so buying used and fixing them up is my way. Just because it works for me does not mean it is the best path for you to follow. I like having a lot of planes at my disposal. Most people could likely do well with three or four bench planes as opposed to my accumulation of about a dozen.

If you can afford a few new planes, then I would suggest you try to get a hold of comparable LV and LN planes to see which feels best in your hand.

You do not have your location in your profile, but there may be other SMC members in your area that would be happy to let you try their planes or you may be close to a store that carries one or the other brands of planes. Also, Lie-Nielsen puts on tool shows all across the country. I know one is coming to the Portland, Oregon area in February.

My personal feeling is that both companies are eager to make high quality tools and make sure their customers are satisfied.

When it gets to the realm of quality these two tool makers occupy, the only real difference is the personal preference of the person holding the tool in their hand.

My old Stanley/Bailey planes feel good in my hands and they work well. Some of the totes have been modified by me to fit my hands better.

There are also slight differences in the feel between a Bailey style plane and the later Bedrock planes. At least, my #604 feels a little different making shavings than any of my #4s.

There is likely very subtle differences in the way a Lie-Neilsen plane feels taking a shaving compared to the feel of a Lee Valley plane doing the same work.

The plane that feels "right" to you is the one to get.

jim