PDA

View Full Version : Delta Rockwell lathe - which one is this?

John Keeton
11-16-2009, 10:34 AM
This lathe is on CL, but the fellow does not know the exact model. Apparently, it is a 46 series of some sort. The swing is 16", and it is 47" b/w centers.

He indicates it is in excellent shape, and has a mobile base with it, several tools (only ones that appear to be decent are 3 Sorby), and a Talon chuck with #3 jaws. There are a couple of rests, faceplates, etc.

I am sure some of you guys will know right off what this is. Is it a decent lathe, and any thoughts on value?

And, yes, I know, the Vortex is strong!! Actually, my little HF lathe has been very functional for me, and does a good job. It is reasonably quiet, and has enough power for what I do. But seeing some of the other lathes, it would be nice to have a smoother, quieter lathe. I am not sure the chuck would be of much value to me, but one never knows.

Baxter Smith
11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi John,
Your picture looks like the lathe I have. A 46-525. It belonged to a very good friend of my fathers and mine. I can't give you a good estimate on price. His widow asked 800 for the lathe and everything that went with it. Lots of tools, chucks etc. I calculated the cost of everything new and it was in the 3500 dollar range. He did all sorts of very nice turnings on it. Hollow forms, live edge bowls etc.. Things that are way beyond me at this time. But maybe some day.. He added a reversing switch which is visible in the picture I am including. If you need more info I have the owners manual that came with it.
Baxter

Steve Schlumpf
11-16-2009, 11:42 AM
But seeing some of the other lathes, it would be nice to have a smoother, quieter lathe.

HA HA Ha HA HA........... you've been bit!

No idea about the lathe but generally speaking - when going with old iron you get something that was made to last. Plus - a number of folks have modified their lathes by installing variable speed, remote switches, etc. When dealing with older equipment it is usually more a question of how much time do you want to put into it.

Good luck with your research!

Oh... yeah... HA Ha Ha HA!

John Keeton
11-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Baxter, that certainly looks like the lathe! Thanks. This guy wants $1200 for everything, which to me, sounds like way too much. But, I know nothing about these old spinny things.

And, Steve, I am just looking.....:rolleyes:;)

This is some of the "stuff" he has with the lathe -

Dick Strauss
11-16-2009, 12:10 PM
John,
Watch out for the swing measurements on the gap bed lathes. Once you get beyond the gap by adding the Talon, I think the true swing is 12". This may not buy you any more swing than your HF one though it may buy you more smoothness. I think it is 47" long but 36" between centers.

Locally I've seen them go for $250 at a well publicized auction with no extra tooling beyond what came with the lathe (toolrest, and faceplates). $1200 is not very reasonable in my book. Add in the Talon + jaws, mobile base, and misc tools I'd think $500-700 would be more reasonable in my neck of the woods. However, I've often been told the prices are low here when compared to other parts of the country.

FYI-I'm not a fan of mobile bases on lathes.

Dick Strauss
11-16-2009, 12:26 PM
John,
Here are some price references for you...

http://www.interschola.com/displayitem.php?items_id=15135 ...sold for $330
One on bay...current bid $250 3 phase (add $150-200 for VFD to use single phase) item # 250531466578
http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/1445572631.html ...looks like Rockwell version but on non-standard stand $350

Here is some good info I found about that lathe here:
http://www.woodturner.org/resources/LatheSpecs.pdf

1-8 headstock spindle (good)
MT2 on both tailstock and headstock (good)
1" toolpost diameter (good)
12" swing (just as I suspected...really not true 16" swing as advertised!)
36" between centers (good)
340-3200 rpms (this is a pretty good range for this old of lathe)
3/4 hp (okay)
225# (okay)

FYI--I think a few folks here like Rick Souchek (sp?) have converted these to run on VFDs

John Beaver
11-16-2009, 12:35 PM
The information you've received so far is correct. Looks like a 46-525. I wish I could tell you the exact year, but it seems like an earlier one in the series. Somewhere in the 60's. The lathe is 16 inches at the gap but only 12 over the ways. Also I don't agree with the 47 between centers. Probably it's 39 inches.
I recently sold a similar one (not variable speed) for $400, and it was visually in much better condition. Doing the research I found them from $300 -$1200, but I wouldn't spend $1200. I think the $400 range, plus something for the accessories would be reasonable. It is a good solid machine, great for spindles, not as good for bowls.

Steve Schlumpf
11-16-2009, 12:40 PM
John - looking at the photos of the extra gear and combining with the photo of the lathe - have to say that $1200 is about double what I believe it to be worth. Course, as stated - that is just based on the photos.

John Keeton
11-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Dick, that sure is a lot closer to what I thought would be good value. After getting the model #, I was able to find specs on it as well, although some that I found indicate a 1 1/2 hp motor. Not sure about that.

With the specs, it doesn't seem to offer much over the HF lathe. Probably heavier - what I found says about 380 lbs., and it will go to a slower speed. But, at this point I don't have an interest in anything other than spindle turning (Steve, note I said at this point :D), so the slower speed may not be as important. I haven't seen a need for anything slower than the HF for spindle turning.

I also found another one on CL for $300, with no accessories. But, it is a 5.5 hr drive for me. It has not sold in over 3 weeks, and the fellow would take less.

I probably will see how serious he is on price. Looks like we are pretty far apart and I don't see a "meeting of the minds" happening on this one!

alex carey
11-16-2009, 12:46 PM
seems like a pass to me, the tools look to be worth quite a bit are look nice but the machine probably isn't worth it. Your HF already does 12" and if you want to upgrade at all you shouldn't upgrade just stability, but instead you should upgrade stability and swing. IMO if you get another lathe it should actually be 16", not 16" including the gap.

Then again, if it spindles your doing that's a whole different story.

gary Zimmel
11-16-2009, 1:08 PM
Stick a fork in him, Johns done.......:D

Dennis McGarry
11-16-2009, 1:17 PM
Yes he is, a little over a month and already pricing better lathes... :)

Next thing you know he will be listing the flat table tops for sale on CL and throwing in a motor thinging that spins as well.. :)

John Keeton
11-16-2009, 3:29 PM
Man, you guys are rough on an old man!! Just an innocent "second look" at a simple CL ad, and all of a sudden you guys jump to conclusions!!:D:D:rolleyes:

Now, the mere fact that I sent the guy an email and suggested a better price might interest me could mean something - but, then again, maybe not?!?!

WAIT, what is that sound???

http://www1.bestgraph.com/gifs/paysages/tornades/tornades-12.gif

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2009, 8:57 PM
Hehehehe..........Steve I hear a strong sucking sound coming from Central KY. ;):rolleyes::D

Dave Torro
11-23-2009, 7:46 PM
john that is a good solid lathe, i bought the same one last year. it didn't come with the chucks and all, but came with a set of cheap set of turning tools, a nice original delta plastic/metal shield guard and a delta copy crafter along with two very good , 20$ lathe books. (haven't used the tools,shield and crafter as of yet by the way.) The variable speed is a good addition on that lathe, yet i replaced the original 3/4 hp delta motor with a 3hp one along with a var.speed inverter i had in my shop. i found the original 3/4 hp was way too weak to turn larger pieces this lathe is capable of and it became very frustrating when it would stall on larger stock such as bowls. without the additions i added, i paid 600, which is in my opinion is a fair price. i noticed that the original control switch on yours is missing and was replaced with a regular wall switch. not a big deal but i would definitely try and bargain with this guy for 500-600 at most. good luck,Dave

John Keeton
11-23-2009, 8:24 PM
Thanks for the input Dave. I did exactly as you suggested, and emailed him a proposal of $500. He did not respond. I even sent him a link to another CL ad for the exact same lathe for $300. Trouble is that one is a 4.5 hour drive - one way. I am not willing to do that.

There will be others. In the meantime, I am consumed by a piece of flat work, and don't have much time right now for the lathe. But, soon......

Brian Effinger
11-23-2009, 9:52 PM
In the meantime, I am consumed by a piece of flat work, and don't have much time right now for the lathe.

Sacrilege! :eek:

:D:D:D