PDA

View Full Version : Fine furniture deserves great drawers

Al Navas
11-16-2009, 8:44 AM
In this entry I share how I arrived at my decision to hand-cut the dovetail joinery for the drawers in the stand-up desk project. For the backs, through dovetails, and half-blind for the front. The bottom line, and the clincher: The drawer fronts were cut from the same board as the front desk apron - the grain pattern matches just about perfectly. Thus, *zero* spare drawer fronts; I cannot afford any mistakes here (I usually have at least one, sometimes more spares, in case of mishaps, *any* mishaps).

Careful attention to cutting *to* the line, or leaving the line intact, resulted in the following (more photos in the article):

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/drawer-box-half-blind-dts-front.jpg

Concentration truly is key when doing this - or any job, for that matter. And total focus... :yes:

Joe Scharle
11-16-2009, 9:47 AM
I like it!

Gerry Werth
11-16-2009, 10:02 AM
NICE JOB, Well done!

Al Navas
11-16-2009, 7:06 PM
Thanks, Joe and Gerry!

John Keeton
11-16-2009, 7:19 PM
Enjoyed the blog entry, as well as admiring your recent work! Also, appreciation is owed for the hard work you do with these videos. I have seen first hand how much effort you put into them at the conferences - quite a sacrifice of time and effort! Thanks, Al!! Sandy's got a good one!

Bob Marino
11-16-2009, 9:54 PM
Real nice Al. I always wanted to try hand cutting dt's; pics like yours pushes me closer to attempting doing just that!

Bob

Al Navas
11-17-2009, 4:52 PM
Bob,

Go ahead - if I can do it, you certainly can, too!!!

Ray Newman
11-17-2009, 5:09 PM
Great work!

Joe Leigh
11-21-2009, 8:37 PM
Al, looking forward to your personal review on the Leigh Super FMT.

gary Zimmel
11-21-2009, 10:37 PM
You got to love a piece of furniture that has hand cut dovetails.
Even more when it's you that did them....
Good job Al!

Al Navas
11-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Great work!

Al, looking forward to your personal review on the Leigh Super FMT.

You got to love a piece of furniture that has hand cut dovetails.
Even more when it's you that did them....
Good job Al!

I apologize for not being here in such a long while...:o And my humble thanks to you, Ray, Joe, and Gary!

Joe, I will make sure to post about the Super FMT. Sandy told me the new machine is awaiting my return (I am currently in NYC), and will get on it quickly after I get back to the shop.

Gary, I appreciate your comments, especially after the superb job you did with that bunch of cabinets!!!

John Harden
11-30-2009, 1:04 PM
Very nice!!!! Did you go for a tight, piston fit, or something a bit more loose?

Regards,

John