PDA

View Full Version : buffing question

Bill O'Conner
11-16-2009, 8:35 AM
Wondering how long you wait before buffing out finishes?

Want to use some wipe on poly on a few turning and want to buff them out buyt not sure how many coats and how long to wait before I'm able to buff.

Thanks

Bill

Thom Sturgill
11-16-2009, 8:48 AM
I'm sure some of our more experienced turners can give a more definative answer, but from my experience - CA glue and BLO - I wait only minutes.
Lacquer and Poly - at least a week to allow it to fully cure, longer is better.

Steve Schlumpf
11-16-2009, 9:44 AM
Bill - I use poly and usually wait for 3 or 4 days minimum after the last coat before buffing. A lot of things determine how long it will take for your poly to cure - like temperature, humidity, how thick the coatings of poly are, etc. A very simple rule of thumb that I use - if you can still smell the finish - it is not cured.

Scott Hackler
11-16-2009, 10:24 AM
And dont forget to have a superman grip on your piece when your running it around on the buffing wheels. I got a real nice maple bowl ripped from my hand and slammed onto the floor, where it busted a chunk out of it!

Dick Sowa
11-16-2009, 4:10 PM
Steve's advice is right. I tried buffing a bowl I finished with wipe on poly after only a day of drying...temps were above 60 the whole time. It was still gummy and made a mess. Since then, I wait about a week...warm weather a day or two less...cool weather, a few days longer.

charlie knighton
11-16-2009, 4:31 PM
i usually wait a month with poly then sand with 1200 grit and wipe off :D

Jim Underwood
11-16-2009, 7:32 PM
I've been using a the Minwax wipe on poly, and it seems to take at least 3 coats to get a good shine. It varies with the species of wood of course. Fine grained woods that tend to polish well don't take as much. I find that Sweet Gum and Osage Orange need less coats than Walnut or Cherry.

I make sure it's cured, but sometimes it's cured in 24 hours, and I can sand and recoat with no problem. Seems like I used a 280 grit pad between coats on the last thing I did, and I got a nice shine even without the buffing.

David Drickhamer
11-16-2009, 9:51 PM
Bill,
I haven't done much buffing so can't help with your questions but remind me before the next meeting and I'll bring you some tripoli and white diamond.

Dave

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2009, 9:30 PM
I also use smell to tell me when to buff. If I can still smell the finish it isn't ready. I generally am able to buff wipe on poly in 7 to 14 days. I ruined the finish on one piece by buffing after a day and won't do that again.