PDA

View Full Version : cutting board glue up question w/pic

Tom Sweeney
03-26-2003, 7:51 PM
Hey all,

I'm going to start on a cutting board for LOML, ok I'll use it a lot too. I have a design in mind but am worried about the glue up holding up over time.

I'm especially concerned about the end grain to end grain where the small square maple blocks will be. It will be maple & cherry. Is this a problem for the joints staying together?

Bob Reilly
03-26-2003, 8:05 PM
Just give it a good soaking of mineral oil ,and then periodic wiping when needed, and don't let it sit in water for an extended time and you'll be okay.

Jim Izat
03-26-2003, 8:26 PM
Tom,

You might could dowel the end grain joints. I think that might add some strength.

Jim Izat

robertfsmith
03-26-2003, 11:47 PM
It should be fine. But like Bob said, don't let it sit in water. You will still have a lot of long grain 2 long grain and the small pieces will be sandwitched in between, so they shouldn't be under any un-needed stress. You shouln't need to re-enforce them either. But if you want too, then go for it, it can only help.

Nice design, by the way.

Todd Burch
03-27-2003, 8:00 AM
If using epoxy, titebond 2, or polyurethane glue, you should be fine. Todd.

Lee Schierer
03-27-2003, 8:35 AM
I would recommend that you cut glue joints in the ends to give them more surface for gluing. There are several good glue joint bits for routers on the market.

Tom Sweeney
03-27-2003, 9:39 AM
I feel a lot better about it now! :)

Bob & Robert - I'm planning on warm mineral oil & beeswax finish

& Robert - Thanks >>>>Nice design, by the way<<<<<
I'm actually better at this part of the process then actually making the stuff - you should see the jewelry box I'm going to make as soon as my WW'ing skills catch up to my Computer Design skills ;) . I'm going to round the corners off & route a finger hold on one end of the board also.

Jim I really liked your idea until. . .

Lee gave me an excuse to buy a new tool :D Thanks Lee!

Todd I'm planning on titebond II Says it's safe for cutting boards

Thanks again - you guys are the best :cool: :D

Bob Reilly
03-27-2003, 10:09 AM
Tom, the titebond 11 is an excellent choice and warming the mineral oil will also help a lot, go for it.

Steve Jenkins
03-27-2003, 1:50 PM
Tom I just use regular titebond when I make cutting boards for gifts. I have one I made from strips of walnut and maple about 20 odd years ago that gets regular use. It hasn't cracked or seperated at all. Since you don't soak a wooden cutting board in water regular glue will work fine. Steve