PDA

View Full Version : Masur Birch

Mark Cothren
11-15-2009, 10:55 PM
First piece of this wood that I've turned. Got it from a good friend and it is much appreciated. Sanded thru 2000 grit and then finished with Seal-a-Cell.

I'm not completely satisfied with the form, so your comments on that are welcomed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/MasurBirch01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/MasurBirch02.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Mark - that sure is some beautiful wood! Looks like a monochromatic flame pattern running up the sides! Really nice effect!

As to the form - this may be a little fatter than what you normally turn but still has a nice organic feel to it. If anything - and it could just be the camera angle - about 1/5 the way up from the foot it does seem like the curve changes. Could just be my eyes - but that is the only thing I can notice.

Nice work! Quite the finish!

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2009, 11:28 PM
That is a beauty Mark. Really some beautiful wood.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Mark,

The wood is stunning and the form I like. To my eyes, the piece has very elegant look to it. I like the form.

alex carey
11-16-2009, 4:19 AM
BEAUTIFUL piece, you did a great job on this one.

Jeff Nicol
11-16-2009, 6:13 AM
Mark, The wood is beautiful and the form has a very ancient, tribal look to it. Like Steve said it looks as though there is a noticable change in the curve near the bottom, but like Steve also said it could be the angle and shadows on the picture. But I like it no matter what!

Very nice,

Jeff

Jack Riley
11-16-2009, 8:05 AM
Personally, I like to see a piece that has captured the beauty of the wood. Too often that beauty is sacrificed for what some believe to be the right form. I think that you have made a piece that shows off the beauty of that wood. I wish we had wood like that in my part of the country! Great job!

David E Keller
11-16-2009, 8:15 AM
Beautiful wood. Not sure how you intended it to be used/displayed, but it would be interesting to see what it looks like with something in it or with a top/finial. I think the bottom curve change is somewhat balanced by the upper curve, but I do notice what Jeff and Steve have mentioned. All in all, it's a lovely piece.

Mike Golka
11-16-2009, 8:21 AM
looks realy good to me, nice wood.

charlie knighton
11-16-2009, 8:54 AM
very nice, after we finish one, each of us knows where we coulda, shoulda, woulda, done something a little bit different, its very nice

Nathan Hawkes
11-16-2009, 9:20 AM
Mark, this is a great piece! The wood is spectacular, and I like the form just fine. I'm not crazy about the rise in the rim, but I'm just getting started with my own hollow forms, so my opinion is kinda moot. Great work!! BTW, is the backdrop you're using for the photo a solid color, or does it fade from white to gray?? I can't tell, and I'm trying to get started doing somewhat more professional looking pictures of my stuff. Thanks!

Nate

Toney Robertson
11-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Sweet.

Enough said.

Toney

Greg Wittler
11-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Personally, I like to see a piece that has captured the beauty of the wood. Too often that beauty is sacrificed for what some believe to be the right form. I think that you have made a piece that shows off the beauty of that wood. I wish we had wood like that in my part of the country! Great job! +1 I have only had small pieces of this wood, but it made some beuatiful pens. One of my favorite figured woods.

Skip Spaulding
11-16-2009, 2:00 PM
Sure looks good from here, beautiful wood, nice form.Great piece!

Curt Fuller
11-16-2009, 8:23 PM
I'm curious as to what you don't like about the form. I think it's perfect myself. The wood it great too. It's just a beautiful all around piece of work.

Mark Cothren
11-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Not exactly sure, Curt... just seems to be a bit "squatty" to me. It's not that I don't like it, I just think it could/should have been better.

Moshe Eshel
11-19-2009, 5:28 PM
I love the form, it looks really classic, though a touch on the wide side, I think usually it is a bit thinner - but still very, very, nice.
And the wood! you got some magnificent figure in there and it shows out just superbly - I've never worked with this wood, but even attempted I couldn't dream of replicating such a beautiful natural design with a burner or anything...

In short good use of a very nice piece of wood, wouldn't mind owning it at all... is it for sale?

Richard Madison
11-19-2009, 8:15 PM
Mark, Nothing wrong with a bit of "squatty" sometimes. It would not be very interesting if we all had to turn exactly the same thing every time.

Edit: I can not see a "kink" near the bottom, and think it is an illusion due to the change in background color at that point. Nice pictures BTW.