PDA

View Full Version : Topcoat Finishing General Help Needed

Mike Goetzke
11-15-2009, 9:41 PM
I've been spray finishing for a little over two years now but it's just a hobby so I don't do it as often as I'd like. For the past 9-months I've been using a Fuji Q4 HVLP system. I'm working on my third project with it. The system has an air control valve on the guns inlet hose. Nothing fancy - something you would use on your garden hose. The gun has a fluid control and air cap adjustment ring.

OK - I have adjusted the flow and air cap to lay down a nice finish. Now if I would like to narrow down the fan by say 1/2 do I cut the air flow to the gun down and adjust the ring/needle or do I just adjust the needle and ring with air into the gun at wide open throttle?

I've read a few books on finishing but none nor the manual really go step-by-step on how to adjust the gun. Maybe it's because there are so many different designs out there.

Thanks,

Mike

Dan Manning
11-18-2009, 2:07 PM
Mike,
I have a gun from HF, 1 quart can. I run it with a 6gallon Bosch compressor and have only sprayed WB Poly for small to medium sized projects so far. The settings on my gun are for 1) fan angle at the tip by turning the wing setting, 2) The volume of product by a turning valve above the handle, and 3) A pattern control valve, also above the handle. Of course, you maintain air pressure per sprayer manufacturer at the tank within limits. Small pieces require less compressor cycling whereas larger work will cycle it depending on the size of the tank.

I filled my gun with water and practiced the spray functions on a large sheet of plywood when I first got it following the tips in the book. Also before I start a spray job, I practice shoot and settle on a volume/pattern setting. I hope I didn't go overboard with this,...

I have the Central-Pneumatic 93205 from HF, and I'm real happy with it.

Regards,

Mike Goetzke
11-18-2009, 2:59 PM
Mike,
I have a gun from HF, 1 quart can. I run it with a 6gallon Bosch compressor and have only sprayed WB Poly for small to medium sized projects so far. The settings on my gun are for 1) fan angle at the tip by turning the wing setting, 2) The volume of product by a turning valve above the handle, and 3) A pattern control valve, also above the handle. Of course, you maintain air pressure per sprayer manufacturer at the tank within limits. Small pieces require less compressor cycling whereas larger work will cycle it depending on the size of the tank.

I filled my gun with water and practiced the spray functions on a large sheet of plywood when I first got it following the tips in the book. Also before I start a spray job, I practice shoot and settle on a volume/pattern setting. I hope I didn't go overboard with this,...

I have the Central-Pneumatic 93205 from HF, and I'm real happy with it.

Regards,

Thanks for the info. I started with a HF 43430 and next had a used Titan 4-stage HVLP and now the Fuji. For some reason I'm fining the Fuji the hardest to adjust. But, once it is it produces a better finish than the others. I think if I started with the Fuji I would be doing better but I've acquired techniques with my previous two system that differ from Fuji.