PDA

View Full Version : First Post & a Bowl

Michael E. Thompson
11-15-2009, 9:02 PM
Thought it was about time to say hello. I have been lurking here for some time and is my go-to place when I have questions. Lots of talent and knowledge around here. Regardless, thanks for a fun place to learn about the vortex.

Bowl is a NE hard maple crotch. Lost the bark, but I like it better, approx. 7" dia x 3" tall about 3/32" thick. Finish is several coats of BLO on and off the lathe, then rubbed out using steel-wool with BLO. This is by far my favorite. Still learning the photo tricks, but the pic gets the point across.

Mike

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2009, 9:06 PM
Welcome to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Great looking bowl. Well done.

Richard Madison
11-15-2009, 9:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike. Very cool bowl. Must be light as a feather. Pretty decent photo too. Looks like you should be helping answer questions.

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2009, 9:26 PM
Welcome to the Creek Michael! Great looking bowl! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2009, 9:32 PM
Welcome to the Creek Mike!

Gorgeous bowl. The wood appears to have a lot of chatoyance.

Kenneth Whiting
11-15-2009, 9:50 PM
You are obviously newer to the creek than you are to turning. That is a great bowl.

Michael E. Thompson
11-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. Actually, I was reading the creek before I even had my lathe, about three years now. There are a lot of things I want to learn, like hollow forms. And of course I want/need a bigger lathe and am starting to spend money on better tools.

I actually did my first craft show yesterday. The place was packed, 75 vendors, unfortunately, the booth was in a separate room from the main show, so I think we may have missed some people. Regardless, I still brought in a couple hundred dollars. All said and done, I walked away with a little cash in my pocket after all the costs. A good first showing as far as I am concerned. Sold several bowls, a couple lamps, and sold out of bottle stoppers.

My next step is a juried show. I putting together some items for a gallery, I am hoping to get a good idea of where I stand. Even if I don't get into the gallery, I hope to get good feedback from them.

Again thanks for the comments, and critiques are always welcome.

Mike

charlie knighton
11-15-2009, 10:32 PM
very nice....i think he is in the spiral :D

ROY DICK
11-16-2009, 7:47 AM
Welome to the Creek,
Outstanding turning and 1st picture post.

Roy

David E Keller
11-16-2009, 8:17 AM
Beautiful wood and a perfect piece for a NE bowl. I love the way it distorted when drying. Thanks for the pic

Mike Golka
11-16-2009, 8:22 AM
Nice bowl and welcome to the creek.

Michael E. Thompson
11-16-2009, 8:56 AM
Beautiful wood and a perfect piece for a NE bowl. I love the way it distorted when drying. Thanks for the pic

Actually, this piece is not distorted. When I turned it, it was fairly dry already, really hard too. The distorted look is from the irregular shape of the crotch of the tree. Lots of cutting air and getting banged around.

Mike

David E Keller
11-16-2009, 9:23 AM
Thanks... I looked again and now realize that I was fooled by the areas of figure and curl. Really nice

Curt Fuller
11-16-2009, 8:38 PM
I love a nice natural edge bowl and this is a beauty! Looks thin and light as a feather too.

And BTW, Welcome!

gary Zimmel
11-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Welcome to the Creek Michael.
Good to have you aboard. And great looking bowl...