PDA

View Full Version : Lidded, winged, bowl? box?

Dennis Ford
11-15-2009, 8:05 PM
I am not sure what to call this thing. It is 10" square.

The bottom is "Andiroba" sp?, a poor choice of wood for this shape (it was difficult to get clean exit cuts near the corners). The lid is Holly (pierced by untrained but talented worms) and the finial is Cocobolo. The finish is lacquer.

Richard Madison
11-15-2009, 8:29 PM
Interesting piece Dennis. Love the lid. Nice work by the worms. Is it my imagination or does the finial have a slight list to starboard? Nice finial even if listing; very delicate at the top.

Dennis Ford
11-15-2009, 8:45 PM
does the finial have a slight list to starboard?

Yes, it does have a list. I used CA glue on the base of the finial and spritzed some accelerator on the Holly before joining them - it set up faster than expected. The tip of finial described a circle about 1/2" in diameter while I was dressing up the joint.

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2009, 9:04 PM
Interesting piece. Really like the lid.

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2009, 9:31 PM
Pretty cool! Like the others have mentioned - very interesting combination of form and woods. Really like the holly and all of it's natural texture! Would make for an interesting hollow form!

charlie knighton
11-15-2009, 10:41 PM
very nice, anything that does not fit a description i call a whatnot

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121447

Craig Powers
11-16-2009, 5:22 PM
Nice work.

David Christopher
11-16-2009, 6:15 PM
dont know what you call it....but I like it

Jeff Nicol
11-16-2009, 6:35 PM
Dennis, It has an alien landing craft look to it! I like the contrasts and the finial is fine even with it's lean///////! On those type of turnings like the base you have to spin it as fast as you can so the wood comes to the tool quicker. Very light cuts are a must also. I practiced a long time on a few and the faster the better.

Keep at it!

Jeff