PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get the feel of the machine

Gary Nicholls
11-15-2009, 5:25 PM
I am a pen turner and bought a rotary with my laser so I could do value added things to my pens to hopefully help sales. I have had my laser 6 days now and today was get familar with the rotary. I turned this pen from antler and engraved an elk wrapped around the upper barrel. I am pretty happy with it.

Dee Gallo
11-15-2009, 7:02 PM
That's a beautiful pen shape, and gorgeous fittings. You did a great job on your first engraving with your rotary, it really fits the pen design nicely. Great start for your new adventure.

:) dee

James Jaragosky
11-15-2009, 8:00 PM
I am pretty happy with it.
As you should be.
It looks marvelous.
Great job.
Jim J.:)

donald bugansky
11-15-2009, 10:01 PM
That looks great. Is that the default look of antler after it's been lasered or is it color filled?

Thx

Gary Nicholls
11-15-2009, 10:45 PM
That looks great. Is that the default look of antler after it's been lasered or is it color filled?

Thx

No color fill used. The antler was a drop that had a lot of color to it, so I soaked it in peroxide for 48 hours after turning to turn it almost completely white. The lasered area came out a tan color with a couple different shades to it. It looks way nicer than I expected color wise.

Frank Corker
11-16-2009, 8:01 AM
Great job Gary, the buck that's on there looks sparkly which is why you were probably asked about it being colour filled. Look fantastic though, well done.

Mike Null
11-16-2009, 9:29 AM
Great job!

I agree with Frank, it looks like a Rub n Buff fill.