PDA

View Full Version : G0453Z and PM15 HH are so close in price -- which one?

John Stan
11-15-2009, 8:59 AM
Oh man,
With the Powermatic sale, I found a place that has a PM 15 HH for $1875 delivered w/liftgate The G0453 Z is $1700 delivered with liftgate. I got to decide between the two by the end of the month. Any thoughts or opinions?

Research on this forum and other sites shows:
- Both planners are well liked and most people feel the Byrd vs Grizzly head differences are minimal to non-existent.
- The Grizzly appears to weigh about 150 LBS more than the PM 502 vs 675 lbs. I wonder why the Griz weighs more?
- Feed rates are 16/30 FPM for the Grizzly and 16/20 FPM for the PM.
- I suspect they are both manufactured by GeeTech - The PM in the Taiwan plant and the Griz in the China plant.
- There is no indication that the PM uses a Baldor motor. My bet is that it is probably the same or similar motor as the griz.

I feel when it is all said and done the main differences are:
- Paint color
- Byrd vs. Grizz head
- Different feed rates
- Warranty 5 years vs 1 year
- Price $1700 vs. $1875

Am I missing something?

Any thoughts if either of the two are better than the other? Also is the difference in feed rates a deciding factor?

Thoughts and guidance appreciated ...

Many Thanks,
-John

Jim Watts
11-15-2009, 9:44 AM
I just ordered/received the G0453 for $850 and free shipping. Also got the Byrd Shelix head on sale for $495 and $20ish shipping. So all told, about $1365 delivered (called in the order and used the 09WOODM pricing code).

I'll also have @$40 for 2 new bearings for the Shelix, and maybe a few machine shop $$$ unless I can figure out how to press the cutterhead out of the gearbox. And then there's the 3 - 5 hours of your time for the Shelix installation.

So, it's probably a wash.

glenn bradley
11-15-2009, 9:55 AM
A 5 year warranty is nothing to sneeze at but, its only as good as the customer service behind it. Grizzly's CS (with rare exceptions I have yet to understand) is second to none.

Steve Kohn
11-15-2009, 9:45 PM
I have multiple machines from both Grizzly (19 in bandsaw, dust collector, oscillating spindle sander, wide belt sander) and Powermatic (TS and Edge sander). I have been pleased with both. I am sure either planer would be and excellent addition to your shop. Both suppliers are likely to be around for quite some time, but I believe there is one factor that must be considered.

That is resale. At some point in time, you or your heirs will want to sell the machine. Simply put, IMHO the Powermatic brings more resale dollars than Grizzly does.

Jim Eller
11-24-2009, 7:28 AM
John,

Did you get my PM on the 15HH?

Jim

Danny Hamsley
11-24-2009, 8:17 AM
The difference in the feedrates of 16 vs 20 FPM in not very significant in the Powermatic. I like the 30 FPM feedrate on my GO453Z for the softer woods. Other than that, I bet there is not a great deal of difference in the machines besides color.

Jim Riseborough
11-24-2009, 3:39 PM
get both and let us know which is better :D

I have the Grizzly 15"

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4247074&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

richard poitras
11-24-2009, 3:45 PM
John pm sent

John Stan
11-24-2009, 5:48 PM
All,
Thanks for your help and ideas and PMs.

I ended up buying it local from a guy for $2124. He threw in the digital height gauge, a set of cutter inserts, and free delivery to my garage.

Not the lowest price, but he had the planer in stock and I was able to see and touch the box beofore I purchased it. He also deliverd it into my garage last Saturday at 8:00 in the morning.

I paid more by going locally, but it was really convienient to not have to deal with UPS or FedEx. To me that was worth the extra few hundred.

All that said, I own two Grizzly tools, a G0636X bandsaw and a G0593 Jointer with a spiral head. I am very happy with both of those tools. The Powermatic I now own is no different from my Grizzly tools terms fit, finish and quality. The motor in the PM is even from Taiwan. I am not disapointed wit hthe PM, I am just saying that both manufacturers are very good.

-John