PDA

View Full Version : Fine woodworking achive dvd

Mark Warwick
11-15-2009, 5:49 AM
I recently received and old copy of the fine woodworking disk from my partner. It is the one with 201 issues on it. I have a mac mini that far surpasses the specs needed to run it yet it takes up 90% of the cpu resources and it crawls at one line per second when scrolling.

I put it on a windows machine to see if it was the computer and it does run a bit faster but not very fast. Is there some fix for this? I can't seem to access the files to save them as a PDF to read them faster, any ideas out there?

thanks

Brian Ashton
11-15-2009, 7:27 AM
I'd say two things at plat here: access speeds to the cdrom are relatively slow so the loading of the files will be slow. Files are large, compounding first issue. Best way to speed it up is copy everything over to the hard drive. And access it there.

Mike Henderson
11-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I copied the whole DVD to my hard drive and access it from there. But FWW is not known for their computer skills. The "system" they used for searching and displaying the issues appears to be inefficient and slow.

They announced a new DVD that includes all of the issues through last year (one more year than the DVD you have). The ad says that the searching is better but we'll have to see (it hasn't shipped yet). If you bought the previous DVD from them, the upgrade is pretty inexpensive.

Mike

Glen Gunderson
11-15-2009, 5:57 PM
On a Mac, do the following to get to the raw PDFs:

1) Install the program on your computer

2) Right click (or Control + click) on the icon in the Applications folder and select "Show Package Contents" from the menu.

3) Go through the folders to get to the PDFs. On mine they're under Contents/Data/Issues and in that folder there's all 201 issues in PDF form.

I too hated the program, and it won't even run on the latest version of Mac OS. Now I just have all of the PDFs located in a directory and can flip through them quite quickly.

Stephen Tashiro
11-16-2009, 12:13 AM
The Dvd, with Glen's hint, sounds like it might be a useful product. Are the PDF files searchable for words? Or are they simply pictures of the magazine pages?