PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill Motor for Delta Midi Lathe

mickey cassiba
11-14-2009, 9:49 PM
I'm sure that this has been discussed, but I've searched and not found a thread to answer my question.
Has anyone out there actually used a VS treadmill motor on a Delta Midi(LA200) and if so, what model or part number? Reference to a specific post will work for me, I just don't want to get into a discussion about how I should purchase a new lathe. If any of you have done this, I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks ,
Mickey

Jeff Nicol
11-15-2009, 8:34 AM
Mickey, There are lot of guys that have used the treadmill motors on mini metal lathes with much sucess. My Dad and I got a treadmill for free a few months ago that was not working. All that was wrong with it was a wire had not been pushed all the way on a saftey switch and worked its way off. He plans on using it on something but not sure yet. You can get the motors at SURPLUS CENTER and the DC controllers there also for a pretty fair price. Getting everything mounted on your particular lathe and configured is the thing. I will look and see if I have a link to one of the retrofits. Here is one that has some insight and there are tons of them out there, you just have to find the one that works for you.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use_a_Treadmill_DC_Drive_Motor_and_PWM_Speed_Contr/

Check them out,

Jeff

PS: I am going out to the shop right now to finish up a handle for the skew and a scraper! Life has been hectic!!

William Payer
11-15-2009, 8:54 AM
Mickey,

I don't have any input to offer regarding a treadmill motor but I did add VS to my Delta Midi using the retrofit kit from Penn State Industries. Their kit works well and is pretty cost effective ( I think it was about $110 when I purchased mine)

mickey cassiba
11-15-2009, 9:48 AM
Mickey,

I don't have any input to offer regarding a treadmill motor but I did add VS to my Delta Midi using the retrofit kit from Penn State Industries. Their kit works well and is pretty cost effective ( I think it was about $110 when I purchased mine)
William, I checked out the VS at Penn, but the lowest speed seems to be 650 rpm.I'm looking to go lower than my minimum speed of 500. I want to turn some fairly rough stuff. That's why I am looking at the treadmill option, very low rpm/high torque, so I've been told...may have been told wrong though, as the guy I talked to, has not done it himself.
Mick

mickey cassiba
11-15-2009, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Jeff Nicol;1260111]Mickey, There are lot of guys that have used the treadmill motors on mini metal lathes with much sucess. My Dad and I got a treadmill for free a few months ago that was not working. All that was wrong with it was a wire had not been pushed all the way on a saftey switch and worked its way off. He plans on using it on something but not sure yet. You can get the motors at SURPLUS CENTER and the DC controllers there also for a pretty fair price. Getting everything mounted on your particular lathe and configured is the thing. I will look and see if I have a link to one of the retrofits. Here is one that has some insight and there are tons of them out there, you just have to find the one that works for you

Thanks Jeff!
Pretty informative...that might be what I'm looking for. Mounting should not be a problem, as the mobile base I've built is made of 1 1/2" square tube, and has 2 layers of 3/4" mdf over that giving me an extra 3" under the lathe. I also have an extra HS casting if things get too torquey and I break something.

Thanks, and I'll be looking for the tools! I've been experimenting with the cheapo's I bought, and I think I'm ready to actually make something other than a pile of shavings and broken "bonkers".
Think I've got Charlotte talked into a sharpening jig and good stones for the grinder as well...all I had to do was show her the perfume bottles, and such from Craft Supplies. Too easy! Ought to fit in with her jewelry.
Went to my second meeting yesterday and watched a fellow make a live edge mushroom box. That's one reason I want to get the speed down on my lathe. He was going around 250 while boring out the box. Next meeting I'm going to check out the electricals on his little Jet. Definitely didn't look stock.
Seems like the more I learn, the more I need to learn...you guys were right. The vortex will suck you right in!
Mick

Jeff Nicol
11-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Mick, Yes I have 3 lathes and too many tools and will keep getting more!! They are fun and making them is great, like I said in another post I think in the general tools forum I have been using the skew like crazy! It will be hard to send it out too you!!! I better get busy on my own!!

Jeff