PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic model 66 or PM2000?

Richard Andersen
11-14-2009, 9:18 PM
I'm looking at my first tablesaw purchase. I've found a new in the box Model 66 that is only a few years old on craigslist. When I calculate cost for the model 66 plus a mobile base it is about the same price as Tool-plus.com 15%off sale price for a similar PM2000. I'm torn between a legendary classic or the new PM2000 with the riving knife. How do the 2 compare in quality & durability. I read the 66 has beefier trunions and is made in the USA. Another potential concern of mine would the warranty, don't think I would have one with the 66 since I would not be the original purchaser.

Thanks

Cary Falk
11-14-2009, 9:29 PM
I personally would go for the PM2000. I think the riving knife would be the reason for the choice. Both saws would no doubt last you a lifetime.

Joe Mioux
11-14-2009, 9:39 PM
Before I bought my Saw stop, I looked at both the 66 and 2000.

I would have gone with the 2000. There are a lot of nice features on the new PM.

Peter Quinn
11-14-2009, 9:51 PM
I have a 66 in my home shop, and use several at work that have many hard years on them. They do in fact perform well over a life time. But if I were buying one today I would go for the PM2000 for the riving knife, mobile base and warranty. I have not used a PM2000, and they have not been made nearly long enough for anybody to compare their longevity to the 66, but they sure look well made up close. My warranty is long over, but nothing has ever needed to be fixed. Still, its nice to have a warranty on a new tool.

As a side note, one nice feature of the 66 was a QA data sheet packaged with the saw detailing an 11 step checkout procedure performed and signed by an actual human. They checked for table flatness, arbor run-out, miter gauge alignment, etc. Probably the only tool I have bought where they put the name of the guy responsible for the condition of your tool in the package. Don't know if they still do that.

Paul Ryan
11-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Richard,

The last review I read on cabinet saws was done a few years ago. 2 of the saws checked were a pm 66 and a pm2000. I think it may have been wood magazine but not sure. The quality control on the pm 66 was bad. The table was badly warped, the arbor run out was much more than any other saws, and something else cant remembler. Now that could have been an isolated incident. But I think the quality control on the last few pm 66's may have been off in the end as well. But a new PM 2000 would come with a built in mobile base (nice to have, better than a universal), a riving knife, and a 5 year warranty. No worries for at least 5 years. It is a no brainer to me.

Tom Hintz
11-15-2009, 2:09 AM
I've had the PM2000 for a few years now and remain very happy with it.
One thing to remember when comparing the 66 and PM2000 is that the PM2000 is what the Powermatic folks came up with when they wanted to update the 66. Rather than add all of the array of new features to the older machine, they just designed a new one from the ground up.
There certainly is nothing wrong with the 66 but I would (and did) go with the PM2000 today.

I have a full review of the PM2000 at the link below if more info on it would help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm2000rvu.html

Richard Andersen
11-15-2009, 2:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, it is very helpful for one starting out. So it looks like the newer PM2000 with riving knife would be a better choice for me between the two Powermatic options.

I would like to ask another question. What are your thoughts on the newer Grizzly G0690/G0691 with the riving knife. I see there is a deal going on now for them also. The TS may be my most critical tool purchase, should I spend a little bit more for the Powermatic or save a little $ with the Grizzly and use that savings for something else? I'm willing to spend a little extra on the Powermatic if the quality, durability/longiviety, etc are enough to warrant.

Thanks in advance.

Cary Falk
11-15-2009, 2:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, it is very helpful for one starting out. So it looks like the newer PM2000 with riving knife would be a better choice for me between the two Powermatic options.

I would like to ask another question. What are your thoughts on the newer Grizzly G0690/G0691 with the riving knife. I see there is a deal going on now for them also. The TS may be my most critical tool purchase, should I spend a little bit more for the Powermatic or save a little $ with the Grizzly and use that savings for something else? I'm willing to spend a little extra on the Powermatic if the quality, durability/longiviety, etc are enough to warrant.

Thanks in advance.

There have been several happy owners of the Grizzly posting here. I would not hesitate to buy it.