PDA

View Full Version : Crosscut blade decision - request for advice

Glen Blanchard
11-14-2009, 7:56 PM
I have always used my WW II general purpose blade on my table saw. However, I am/was in the market for a thin kerf dedicated crosscut blade. My primary use will be for cutting half-lap joints to create the dividers for jewelry boxes. Thus it will not by any means be a workhorse for me and will see only light use. I bought a Freud Avanti 80T thin kerf crosscut blade today at Lowes for $45 (it was on clearance). It is not one of Freud’s red “Diablo” blades, which I know are very popular. What is the difference between this blade and a comparable Diablo series blade. Is this blade any good or should I return it and get a Diablo?

Thanks.

Randal Stevenson
11-14-2009, 9:33 PM
Does the blade REALLY say Freud ANYWHERE on it or the package?

Read here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54817

Myk Rian
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
A crosscut will work, but only if you want to take several/many/a bunch of cuts using the miter gauge. You would have better luck using a tenoning jig and the Diablo 24 tooth rip blade, a router table, or a dado stack.

scott spencer
11-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Glen - The Freud Diablo and Avanti lines are very similarly made, have similar quality, and similar performance...they're marketed differently through different retailers. The blade you got should be fine. Their Industrial line has larger carbide, more features, and a wider selection and could be considered a slight step up.

Note that the Freud Avanti line has been discontinued as of June 2009. Be aware that you may see "Avanti" and "Avanti Pro" line in HD...it's made in China, is not made by Freud, and has no association with Freud, but more importantly, are not made to the same quality as even the lesser Freud lines...they appear to be rebadged Oldham contractor blades and DeWalt series 20 construction blades, which are not very suitable for finewoodworking IMHO. If the blade you got does not clearly say "Freud" on it, by all means return it and grab a more suitable blade.

Glen Blanchard
11-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Randall - The blade I bought is indeed a Freud blade - it has the Freud logo on the packaging.

Myk - I'm not sure I follow your comments. This blade will be primarily used to mill half-lap joints for dividers for jewelry boxes (and similar). The cuts will be across the grain, so I am not sure why I might want to consider a ripping blade.

Scott - The termination of Freud's use of the Avanti line probably explains why this blade was on clearance at Lowes.

Sounds like there would be little reason to take this back and seek out something else (like a similar Diablo blade). I plan on putting this to use tomorrow.

Thanks again folks!!