PDA

View Full Version : Quick Poll regarding Badger Pond Archives

Andrew Field
03-26-2003, 6:10 PM
Here's the question, should the index be over the messages or the threads?

Here's the difference, if it is over the messages then your search critirea will be checked against each message. If the index is over the threads, then all the messages from the thread will be placed together as far as the search is concerned.

For example, if I search for (Tormek AND Ceramic AND Stones)...
Against the message index it will only return results in which all three words are in the same message.

Against the thread index it will return results if all three words appear in the somewhere in the thread, so you can have one message talk about the Tormek, and a response talk about Ceramic stones.

The old Pond used a message based index, but I think thread based may return better results.

Either index does not effect the UI or the work needed, it is just an index file.

I do plan on including the indexing tools on the CD so that if one chooses they can rebuild the index to suit there needs.

Jim Izat
03-26-2003, 8:41 PM
Andrew, I can see now where it might be handy to have the ability to search both ways depending on the type of search you were doing.

Jim Izat

Andrew Field
03-26-2003, 9:04 PM
yup, it sure would be nice. There are also a couple "fuzzy" search algrithoms available that are neat, but each index takes about 100+mb. There will be some instructions for how to rebuild the indexes and place them on your HD then pick the one you want for your search, but there is not enough room on the CD for all of them.

John Miliunas
03-26-2003, 9:07 PM
I guess, primarily due to my doing a LOT of research in many areas via the Internet, I would somewhat prefer the message based. My reasoning being is that, unless you're really looking for a very broad inquiry, message based with specific keywords can help narrow a search down quicker. 'Course, that could be somewhat of a mute point, seeing as to how we'd have the *whole* database at our disposal, anyway. I can see where many folks would prefer the thread based, but I think it's a bit to broad to my liking. In the final analogy, though, either should be fine, because we'd already be in a somewhat confined area. Just my $00.02. :cool:

Norsky
03-27-2003, 5:14 AM
Andrew,

I prefer the message-based index system. Using your example, one could search for (Tormek AND Ceramic AND Stones) and immediately find the message he was looking for. If the message didn't turn up, he could reduce the search string to (Tormek AND Stones).

Thank you for all your work preserving the Pond's history.

Norsky (Al) - Cambridge, Iowa

Jim Izat
03-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Andrew Field (Bothell, WA)
yup, it sure would be nice. There are also a couple "fuzzy" search algrithoms available that are neat, but each index takes about 100+mb. There will be some instructions for how to rebuild the indexes and place them on your HD then pick the one you want for your search, but there is not enough room on the CD for all of them.

Sorry Andrew,

I didn't mean it would be nice to have both search strategies available on the same disk, I was trying (poorly as it turned out) to say that I liked the idea of being able to rebuild the search function on my HD if I had the notion. I, along with so many others, truely do appreciate all your hard work at preserving this priceless resource.

Jim Izat

Dave Avery
03-31-2003, 8:40 AM
bump