PDA

View Full Version : Angle Grinder Recommendations?

Brian Kent
11-14-2009, 5:09 PM
What electric angle grinder do you recommend?

My super-cheap Harbor Freight has filled my needs for the last 7 years, but I would like to use one with attachments for sculpting wood. If I ever make a Maloof Rocker I'll use it for a lot of wood sculpting / grinding.

What is a smoother feeling angle grinder that will last?

I have home depot gift certificates so my search begins with Makita, DeWalt, Ridgid, Husky, Hilti, Bosch, DAG and Milwaukee.

I assume I want a 4-1/2 inch tool.

Thanks in advance for your experience.

Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
11-14-2009, 5:34 PM
Brian,

I got a gift certificate when I bought one of my large tools a couple of years ago. It gave me the choice of several tools. I got a Bosch angle grinder and used it on my bathroom remodel earlier this summer. It worked great. That is my first and only angle grinder and first experience using it but it went well and performed as I expected.

John Hollaway
11-14-2009, 5:46 PM
Brian,

When I bought my angle grinder several years ago I wanted variable speed, so I bought the Milwaukee vs - I believe it's a 5". I use a wide range of speeds depending upon the task at hand, so a single speed would not be welcome in my shop. Something to think about.

John

Brice Burrell
11-14-2009, 6:39 PM
Brian, I know this isn't actually what you asked about but it might something to think about, the Festool RAS 115. http://www.festoolusa.com/products/rotex-sanders/ras-11504-e-rotary-sander-570738.html I've not used one before but I've heard good things about it, some guys said you can cope molding with and the dust collection is still good (when hooked to a vac). Supposed to be great for shaping. Of course your depot gift certificates won't help you.

Scott Crumpton
11-14-2009, 7:21 PM
A long time ago I bought a low quality 4 1/2" angle grinder at Lowes for $20. It's served me well and is still going, though the trigger sticks now and then. It has a unique feature that I have come to love - a variable speed trigger. I want to replace it with a better/bigger one but haven't been unable to find any with variable speed at any price. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
---Scott.

Joe Mioux
11-14-2009, 7:29 PM
I have a Makita and it works fine.

However, it doesn't get used much. One of my employees used to own a gas/service station. He still has big grinder. He brings that to work whenever we need some real man grinding done. ;)

this is one of these topics where you will probably find any of the name brand mfers' product to be more than adequate for the general purpose needs.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably buy a Milwauke, just because all my drills are that brand.

Greg Peterson
11-14-2009, 8:44 PM
I have a Ryobi that has worked fine for me. It certainly is a heavy duty unit but for the projects I use it on it works fine. I did have to replace the switch recently. The shipping was more than the switch so I bought two switches.

Which reminds me, where did I store that backup switch?

Brian Kent
11-14-2009, 9:05 PM
The only variable speed angle grinder I can find at the Home Depot web page is the Makita 9". The price is OK but I plan on using a Kutzall disc which is 4" disc.

Bruce Wrenn
11-14-2009, 9:10 PM
I have a couple of B&D Industrial (now DeWalt) grinders, one of which I have had for almost thirty years. Paid $39.99 at K-Mart. Paid $10 for the other at pawn shop a couple years back. Only thing I have ever done, other than work the snot out of them, is replace plug on one. If they failed today, I would replace with a DeWalt. After purchasing my first, my 7"/9" side grinders retired. I think I still know where they are.

Randal Stevenson
11-14-2009, 9:28 PM
I have a Hitachi that has worked for my needs. I would like to get another and several people recommended the Milwaukee's to me (trigger style varies).

Now I have a machinist friend, who ONLY recommends and will use one brand, Metabo.

Brice Burrell
11-14-2009, 11:14 PM
I have a Hitachi that has worked for my needs. I
Now I have a machinist friend, who ONLY recommends and will use one brand, Metabo.

I'll second the Metabo if you plan on getting some use out of it other wise any grinder will work.

Frank Drew
11-15-2009, 12:55 AM
The serious metal workers I know mostly favor Metabo, but I don't know what accessories they offer.

One thing about Metabo tools, you never used to be able to find them discounted; I don't know if that's changed.

joe milana
11-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Hands down the Metabo. Very slow speed, fast smooth powerful high speed. The only downside (if any) is that is is a bit heavy.

Cary Falk
11-15-2009, 1:04 PM
[QUOTE=Greg Peterson;1259900]I have a Ryobi that has worked fine for me. [QUOTE]

I have the Ryobi also. I have had it for about 6 years. I don't have any experience with any others but I would guess it would be similar to your HF one.

Brian Kent
11-15-2009, 4:42 PM
What is a paddle switch?

Bill Spievak
11-15-2009, 5:33 PM
If you want smooth then I suggest you go with either Flex or Metabo. I have one of each and use them for coping crown and other work where I want steady and control with out vibration.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-15-2009, 7:25 PM
Brian,
Most angle grinders have a long flat switch that lays against the underside of the motor housing and is hinged at the back. Merely by holding the motor, squeezing the switch against the body of the tool makes the tool run. There is a safety switch that must be maneuvered into position to activate the switch to avoid accidental start up.
Having said that, since most of these brands work well and will outlast your needs for one, buying one that is comfortable in your hands is most important. Stop by the tool stores and feel them all. You'll pick the one that fits you best.
fmr

Jim O'Dell
11-15-2009, 9:18 PM
My first angle grinder was a gift from my Dad. I'm sure he bought it off of one of the parking lot truck load sales. :rolleyes: I had used it about 3 hours off and on sanding the facia board to get ready to paint at our previous house, so I was using it standing on a ladder, would turn off to move the ladder, then back on, so it wasn't constantly being used. Several times during that 3 hours, I would stop and rest. It caught fire while using it!!! :eek: The fire went out after it hit the ground. :D:D :o
Since I needed a replacement quickly, I got the Ridgid unit. The quick research I did, and pictures of the 2 units makes me believe it is true, is that the gear end of the unit is made by Metabo. Motor is different. This may not be true, but appearances make it look to be.
This is also a heavy unit. It has a distinct gyro effect to it when running, which adds some to the fatigue factor if you need to twist it while using in the case of dishing out wood for say a seat. In the last year, I have used it to grind the floor with a diamond disc on two 12 X 14' rooms plus an 8' closet in each, to prep the floor for tiling. Never so much as coughed from the dust I created.:eek: I've already got my 90.00 investment out of the tool and it keeps on working. My two cents...spend them any way you want. :) Jim.

Brian Kent
11-15-2009, 9:44 PM
I stopped by Home Depot just before they closed to hold the various angle grinders. Once I knew what a paddle switch was, I limited my choices to those. The 10 amp Ridgid felt the most comfortable by far.

I'll be primarily grinding sculpted wood joints, so comfort seems to be a deciding factor.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Brian

Matt Meiser
11-15-2009, 10:12 PM
I've got a couple of the Harbor Freight models which are great considering you can get them for <$20. I also have a Dewalt (a higher amperage model) that has a ton of power compared to the HF's and even another Dewalt I bought and returned because the HF's were actually better.

mickey cassiba
11-15-2009, 11:26 PM
My Flex is 25 years old, and aside from replacing brushes, and lubing the gearbox, has never given me any problems. Originally sold as a stone polisher, it has a through the spindle water port, that comes in handy at times. 5"(125mm) wheel though, a little hard to find.
Mick

Brian Kent
11-17-2009, 3:28 AM
I bought the Milwaukee 6148-30 today. It has a paddle switch and feels comfortable in a couple of different positions. Runs smoothly,
BUT IT'S REALLY LOUD!

I'll keep the tool for heavy grinding and sculpting, but it reminded me why I should take a closer look at adzes, scorps, and travishers.

Thanks everyone.

Brian

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-17-2009, 7:24 AM
Brian,
If you think "loud" is an issue, wait until you see how the chips fly with a good sculptor wheel on that grinder. Have fun.
fmr

Brian Kent
11-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Brian,
If you think "loud" is an issue, wait until you see how the chips fly with a good sculptor wheel on that grinder. Have fun.
fmr

That's what I'm looking forward to.

That, and a combo team of in the ear and over the ear hearing protectors.

John Harden
11-17-2009, 1:46 PM
Brian, I'm in the same boat as you are. I used a carbide Kutzall on my HF, 4.5" angle grinder to shape the crest rail on a chair I'm making. It took about 30 minutes and left my hands numb and tingly for 3 days. I have 11 more chairs to make and posted here for recommendations on a low vibration grinder. My $20 HF is great for general work where it is on for a minute or two only. Any more than that and it'll vibrate your fillings loose.

Perhaps the best advice I got was to get a variable speed model so you can dial in the lowest speed possible that gives a good cut while limiting vibrations. That Kutzall doesn't need to spin at 10,000 rpm. Half that would probably work fine.

I believe Metabo topped the list for low vibration and variable speed. I think I found it online for $150 or so. Haven't bought it yet, but will.

Regards,

John

Brian Jarnell
11-17-2009, 2:15 PM
What I have found of late,is the joy of the 1mm cut off blade in my 4" angle grinder,it precudes the use of a hack saw.
Just a tip when cutting metal,if cutting aluminium use WD40 as a lubricant.

Scott T Smith
11-20-2009, 12:08 AM
I have three angle grinders that I use with my welding equipment. A large Makita (7" - 9"), small Makita (4-1/2"), and a small dewalt (4-1/2").

All work fine. The Makita's are almost 30 years old and still going strong.