PDA

View Full Version : Unusual drawknife

Mark Stutz
11-14-2009, 3:31 PM
I came across this drawknife at a very large flea market. Wish I would have bought it just because it is unusual, but all I did was take pictures. My first thought was that it was craftsman modified for a specific task, but after looking very closely I don't think so. Could not find a manufacturer on it, or any other helpful markings. I can't imagine what this was for. Any ideas?

Jim Koepke
11-14-2009, 3:47 PM
I can't imagine what this was for. Any ideas?

Very large tongue and groove joint making?

jim

Mark Stutz
11-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Jim,
It did cross my mind that it might be for some timber frame function, but just didn't seem precise enough, since one often uses it skewed or with a slicing motion.

Mark

Jack Camillo
11-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Very large tongue and groove joint making?

jim

that was my thought

harry strasil
11-15-2009, 12:16 PM
it reminds me of a coachmakers jigger router. possibly ship laping planks.

Matt Evans
11-15-2009, 5:11 PM
I may be way off base, but. . .

I looked at it first and thought "timber frame tongue and groove."

Then I read the comments and tried to think of any alternative uses. I came up with the "U" being used for a guide rail to maintain a constant thickness. I have the idea in my head for such a device, but it is difficult to portray on paper. Think of the "u" being the same size a 2x4. You put the 2x4 above your rough piece, probably in some rack or jig, effectively giving you a rudimentary thickness planer.

Along the same lines as using a router in a jig as a surface flattening device. . .

But that seems to be a far reach.

Stephen Shepherd
11-17-2009, 1:11 PM
Harry was right it is a jigger drawknife, used for rough rebate (rabbit) work. Similar ones are in the Shelbourne Museum.

Stephen