PDA

View Full Version : Stereo cabinet

Mark Singer
11-14-2009, 2:29 PM
This is quarter sawn oak ...a basic cabinet hanging on a french cleat. Doors are trimmed with a oak strip. Top is solid 3/4 " thick but made to look thicker with miter technique

Mark Warwick
11-14-2009, 2:43 PM
its clean and simple. I like it. A plexi glass leg and it would look like it's floating when the light is right. Good job.

Narayan Nayar
11-14-2009, 2:57 PM
Looks great, Mark. I love modern pieces.

I'm working on a bed right now for which I want to have thicker pieces which aren't as thick as they look (or the headboard would weigh a ton). Could you give some specifics as to what you mean by "made to look thicker with miter technique"? Are the edges of the panels cut at 45 deg and glued together? Did you use splines, loose tenons, biscuits, ...?

Another lovely piece!

John Keeton
11-14-2009, 7:38 PM
Mark, as I have commented before, modern design is not my cup of tea. But, your work is pure art. It is always so balanced, and so functional. Great work as usual.

Shawn Pixley
11-14-2009, 8:04 PM
I like the piece very much. Very clean. Modern furniture can be harder than it first appears.

Glen Gunderson
11-15-2009, 4:56 AM
It's great to see some new work from you! I don't post much, but I've gotten many ideas and much inspiration from your threads on here. I love that miter trick for the top, I've been meaning to use that out on a piece sometime. It's definitely a good trick to have in the bag.

Jamie Buxton
11-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Those don't look like the usual Blum/Grass/etc cup hinges. Have you found something better?

Zach England
11-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Can you tell me more about the miter technique or how to search for info?

Mark Singer
11-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Can you tell me more about the miter technique or how to search for info?

Here you go...
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33263&highlight=oak+table

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34542&highlight=oak+table

gary Zimmel
11-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Clean and simple with perfect execution as usual Mark...

David Gendron
11-16-2009, 12:22 AM
I see it... But still don't get it... I must be dum or blind... thank you Mark, it look great on both projects!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2009, 12:46 AM
David,

I think Mark takes a single piece of wood and rips down each side and across each end at a 45º angle and reattaches the wood via another 45º angle. Thus the grains in the wood on all four edges match perfectly because that's where that edge came from.

Imagine taking a reactangular piece of paper and measuring in "x" distance from each end and side and folding each edge and side down at that distance. The paper would now look thicker by the "x" distance.

In this case, he's ripping and crosscutting at a 45º then reattaching the removed piece so it now becomes a vertical..thus the top looks thicker and the grain matches perfectly.

Very clean looking piece Mark! I like it.

Mark Singer
11-16-2009, 9:10 AM
Ken,
Thanks!
Yes the end front and rear are cut from the same 3/4" glued up piece along a 45 degree miter and attached with glue and a gluing strip on the inside edge. My attached other threads have drawings that show it

Jim Becker
11-16-2009, 9:42 PM
Another Singer masterpiece, Mark! Really wonderful.

Phil Thien
11-17-2009, 8:55 AM
So are the sides and doors sheet goods, or is the entire thing made from solid oak lumber?

It is beautiful, BTW.

Mark Singer
11-17-2009, 9:34 AM
So are the sides and doors sheet goods, or is the entire thing made from solid oak lumber?

It is beautiful, BTW.

Doors are sheet goods, sides and top are solid oak lumber... Thanks

Lee Schierer
11-17-2009, 10:50 AM
It looks nice. How do you control the equipment with solid doors and where does the heat generated by the amp escape??

Robert Meyer
11-17-2009, 7:54 PM
Mark, what blade do you use to get such perfect 45 degree cuts along these long tops you create? Also, care to let us know what table saw you use?

Mark Singer
11-18-2009, 9:37 AM
Mark, what blade do you use to get such perfect 45 degree cuts along these long tops you create? Also, care to let us know what table saw you use?

There are a lot of great blades... Freud 50 tooth combo or the straight line rip.
The Forest WWII is a great blade. My saw is the SawStop which I have had for many years. I had a PM 66 for a very long time and it is a great saw . This is technique mostly and not equipment. Try the cut with a square on a scrap.