PDA

View Full Version : Live edge walnut entry table

Mark Singer
11-14-2009, 2:15 PM
I was was given a slab of claro walnut with a live edge. I just cleaned it up sanded/ planed etc. Designed a couple of stainless brackets that epoxy to the wall with all thread. It is in my guest house

Prashun Patel
11-14-2009, 3:00 PM
I aspire to your design sense, Mark. Really nice.

John Keeton
11-14-2009, 7:34 PM
Mark, that is one beautiful piece of wood! Great design, and as Shawn noted, your sense of style and balance is fantastic - but, then, that is what you do!! And, you do it extremely well!

What finish did you use on the walnut? It looks very touchable.

John Michaels
11-14-2009, 7:42 PM
Very nice, looks great against the wall like that. Outstanding piece of walnut!

Mark Singer
11-16-2009, 9:42 AM
Mark, that is one beautiful piece of wood! Great design, and as Shawn noted, your sense of style and balance is fantastic - but, then, that is what you do!! And, you do it extremely well!

What finish did you use on the walnut? It looks very touchable.

Jon ,
I used 3 coats of Bartley's gel varnish which is great but leaves a Crystal like sparkle which I don't like. I waited a few days and then used Howard's Restore a finish. This eliminates the sparkle and then Watco Satin Wax. It really is super smooth and satin like.

Wayne Watling
11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
As usual, beautiful work Mark. Did you do the floor? if so what sort of wood & finish did you use.

Thanks,
Wayne

Mark Singer
11-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Wayne,
The floor is Jatoba ( Brazilian Cherry) with urethane .... I did not do it

Prashun Patel
11-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Mark-
I'm impressed with the live edge. How did you prep/polish it?

Jason Roehl
11-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Any particular reason you left the stainless brackets long? This is probably just my own preferences showing through--even though I like stainless as a design element, in this case my mind's eye tells me they would look better at or behind the live edge of the walnut, perhaps even with the bottom corner nipped off, mitered, or rounded.

Mark Singer
11-16-2009, 3:41 PM
Any particular reason you left the stainless brackets long? This is probably just my own preferences showing through--even though I like stainless as a design element, in this case my mind's eye tells me they would look better at or behind the live edge of the walnut, perhaps even with the bottom corner nipped off, mitered, or rounded.

My idea here was to hold the slab as if the tree was a " precious" object. There is no joinery or legs. The brackets cradle the slab as if you were carrying a young child. They are an important part of the composition and seeing them eliminates any uncertainty of the means of support

Jason Roehl
11-16-2009, 5:22 PM
I'll buy that, Mark. Still looks great!

john davey
11-16-2009, 9:50 PM
Nice work. Bet people love staying at your guest house :)

Jeff Monson
11-16-2009, 10:02 PM
My idea here was to hold the slab as if the tree was a " precious" object. There is no joinery or legs. The brackets cradle the slab as if you were carrying a young child. They are an important part of the composition and seeing them eliminates any uncertainty of the means of support

Well done Mark, that is a beutiful piece of wood and I love the supports.