PDA

View Full Version : Did I get a bad sharpening job?

Tom Jones III
11-14-2009, 2:08 PM
I brought my Freud L85 crosscut TS blade in for sharpening. When I pulled it out to put it on the TS today I noticed that the top bevel angle is significantly more than it used to be. According to the Freud web site it should be 20 degrees but I'm measuring it at more than 30 degrees and closer to what they describe as their plywood and melamine blade.

Is this going to be a noticeable difference or am I being too picky? It seems that if Freud markets different blades at different top bevels there must be some reason for it. It seems like the sharpening service just took my crosscut blade and turned it into a plywood blade. It also seems like this high bevel angle is going to get dull much faster.

Tony Shea
11-14-2009, 2:32 PM
You probably should have told the service what you wanted. But in reality the company should have tried to copy the existing bevel as close as possible. But I still write in a note exactly what angle bevel I want on all my items to be sharpened for this exact reason. Lately I have noticed the quality of my stuff being sharpened is going downhill from a certain local company. I've taken back a couple plane irons lately due to poor workmanship.

As for performance I really couldn't tell you. I agree that there must be a reason for the angle to begin with. If you use this blade at all for small dadoes then you will run into issues getting a flat surface. But that's all odvious stuff you're probably aware of.

glenn bradley
11-14-2009, 3:27 PM
Your L85 used to have a 20* as you state. It also employs a side grind for clean end grain appearance. Since your shop altered the angle I doubt they noticed the side grind either. The 30+ angle is more like a laminate or veneered ply blade would use where ends are generally veneered or don't show but facings need the better splintering protection. I would go ahead and run the blade but send it to a Freud partner like Expert Die Inc or the like next time around.

Bill White
11-14-2009, 4:34 PM
I have had blades dramatically altered at the supposed "best" services.
It was my fault 'cause I didn't 'splain to 'em that I did NOT want the initial grind altered. Now this was at a local service, not a national grinder. Now, I am VERY specific about use and expected results. Buyer beware!!:eek:
Bill

Bruce Wrenn
11-14-2009, 9:20 PM
Most automatic (CNC) sharpening machines take measurements of existing blade, so when sending it out again, specify what you want, or you will get back blade sharpened as it is now. To get an idea of machines, go to Dynamic Saw's site (dynamicsaw.com) and look at what they use.

Bryan Cowing
11-15-2009, 7:28 AM
I had a Forrest WW2 blade in for it's first sharpening at the recommended shop. Never did seem the same after. Several years later took it back for sharpening #2 and they told me they changed it back to the way Forrest wanted it sharpened and they asked who did the last sharpening. I told them they where the only shop that blade has been to! Deer in headlight stare!! Only 3 grinds and not much left of teeth.