PDA

View Full Version : How would you fix this

Mike Golka
11-14-2009, 1:22 PM
A friend has asked if I could fix the doors on her china cabnet. They have warped quite dadly. Made of solid slats and thin ply on each side. I think if I make a couple of saw kirfs on the back sides and add wedge shaped strips into the kirfs this might do a reasonable job but not sure. The design on the front of the panels prevents much being done on it. Any advices is greatly appreciated.

Kent A Bathurst
11-14-2009, 1:41 PM
.... a couple of saw kirfs on the back sides and add wedge shaped strips into the kirfs this might do a reasonable job but not sure.....

Mike - that is exactly what I would do - you can see the grain direction in your photos - woulda been nice if they had used quartersawn, but then we wouldn't be having this chat.

With "a couple" kerfs, though - you will still have the arc remaining between those kerfs. I'd be thinking about a lot more than a couple - like 3 per board - and knee-jerk answer would be maybe 2/3 depth. 'Course, this is one of those things where you can try a little, then a little more, and sneak up on the final answer.

Also - I would ask the veneer experts (I'm excluded by definition) on the Creek about any prep for the front face veneer before you straighten it out - steam? Something to relieve the stress during straightening and prevent cracks? Guessing this depends on the glue used to veneer.

David DeCristoforo
11-14-2009, 2:31 PM
I'm not too sure about the kerfing idea. It looks to me like any kerf that is deep enough to be effective will cut into the detail on the door face. I would be thinking more about sanding off the veneer layer on the back and then pressing the door flat with a new skin on the back, maybe an 1/8" birch ply....

Bill White
11-14-2009, 4:48 PM
:confused:Dadly made kirfs?????
Bill