PDA

View Full Version : MCLS laser light guided router base for mortises

dennis thompson
11-14-2009, 6:57 AM
I have several mortises to make, I use my plunge router for them. I was about to ask how you make sure you get exactly on the mark when you make the plunge into the wood when I got an email from MCLS offering a laser guided router plate ($49.95)which guides you to your mark. Has anyone used this? How do you make sure that as you plunge your router into the work you hit the exact right spot?
Thanks
Dennis

Peter Quinn
11-14-2009, 7:06 AM
I use a bushing guide and a 1/4" MDF template to guide the router for mortises.

Joe Scharle
11-14-2009, 7:54 AM
A 'bombsight' may help to touch the bit to an exact spot but won't prevent the bit from running all over the place once it's into the wood. As Peter points out, some kind of jig is necessary to control the cut.

dennis thompson
11-14-2009, 8:03 AM
I have a jig I use to control the cut, my question is how do I make sure that my initial plunge is exactly on the spot where I want the mortise to be i.e. if I'm putting a mortise in the center of a 3/4" board, I make my mark at the center of the board but how to make sure the plunged bit is exactly in the center of the board?
Dennis

Joe Scharle
11-14-2009, 8:37 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
But since the beginning of routers, users have been using 'centering' bits. These are simply pointed bits that don't cut, but have a pointed tip for alignment purposes. All that said, I suppose the laser would work, but I'm used to what I'm used to!
Let us know how it works.

pat warner
11-15-2009, 11:08 AM
" but how to make sure the plunged bit is exactly in the center of the board?"
You can't hit the mark on the first shot! There are no jigs/fixtures that will get you to center (say within .010") without a calibration cut.
Stuff in Routerdom just ain't that accurate.
Count on making a sample cut, do some measuring, then set/change your guide system.
Router Control, exact diameter of cutter, work dimensionality, jig/fixturing, etc. etc all play a part in hitting the mark.