PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for non wwer hobbiest

Don Morris
11-14-2009, 12:03 AM
One of my sons isn't really isn't as interested in wwing as I am. He is though trying to get enough equipment to handle some around the house projects. He just bought the small entry level 10" Hitachi compound miter saw, not the scms like mine. He doesn't want a contractor saw or cabinet saw like mine, but asked about one of the "portable Hitachi jobsite saws" he's seen at the local BORG. I have no experience with them. With some guidance and help, they look to be adequate for the average home owner to do most around the house projects, right? You guys with experience with them, opinions please.

Matt Evans
11-14-2009, 12:19 AM
I have the same 10" at my house, and the 12" at my shop. Great saws.

I wasn't thrilled with Hitachis newer tablesaws. I actually prefer the Ridgid to the Hitachi. (I think They are a bit less money too. . .)

If money wasn't much of an issue I would say go with a Bosch or Dewalt, both of which really work well.

That being said, I have installed several thousand feet of trim, and lots of cabinets, wall panels, Flooring and other commercial built-ins with the Ridgid. As long as you keep a few good blades on hand, they hold up really well, but they are loud!

bill mullin
11-14-2009, 8:08 AM
I bought the Hitachi C 10RA3 last winter at Lowe's. I am a trim carpenter, and have used it a lot on jobsites, and at home. It is lightweight, has a detachable folding stand, about 25" rip capacity on the right side of blade. Plenty of power to rip any sheet goods and 2x lumber, decent stock fence. I looked at pretty much everything out there, except Rigid, and for ME, it was the best choice. YMMV.
One thing I think I read somewhere, but am not certain of, is that the mitre slots in the table will not accept aftermarket mitre gages and sleds, etc. If that's important, you might check on that.

John Buzzurro
11-14-2009, 8:23 AM
Not sure what his budget is, but I have a Bosch 4000-09, and it's a good saw. The 4100-09 is the newer model. I think it goes for around $600. There is a review of the 4100 here: http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/b4100rvu.html