PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get a router extension on a Delta contractor saw?

Josh Reet
11-13-2009, 9:23 PM
As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have ended up with a virtually unused delta contractor saw from my father in law. And I am in the process of dialing it in and getting it upgraded.

I have decided that I really like the idea of having my router mounted in the table saw extension. I don't have a tiny shop, but I have enough stuff in there that I try to conserve space. So I'm looking for suggestions on the best combo of value/functionality as far as doing that.

My saw just has the stamped wings, so there is probably some weight advantage in going the BenchDog type direction. But that's $300 out of the pocket. FWIW, I am planning on upgrading my fence at some point to something like a Grizzly/Shopfox "classic" fence probably with the long rails. Given that, could I just build an MDF table between the rails and supported by the long, rail legs? Could I set something like a Rockler pre-made router table in there between the rails?

I guess I'm just looking to hear what other people have done (or are planning to do).

Bruce Wrenn
11-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I would mount the router in the LEFT wing. This way fed direction is the same as for the saw. ShopNotes did a saw station recently and they made router table in place of left wing, using MDF.

Josh Reet
11-13-2009, 10:59 PM
I would mount the router in the LEFT wing. This way fed direction is the same as for the saw. ShopNotes did a saw station recently and they made router table in place of left wing, using MDF.

That makes plenty of sense. But then why saws like the ones from Grizzly and the old Ryobi BT3000 have the router mount in the right wing?

glenn bradley
11-14-2009, 12:30 AM
I mounted my router wing on the left for the reasons of feed direction and ease of addressing the router "table" as if it were a router table. The one configuration I have never really figured out is the router on the right with the router fence even further right so you have to reach over the table to do almost anything(?).

If your open area is to the right of your saw, the router extension can work there. You will just need adequate feed clearance for your stock. My right side is delimited by my fence rail length, so I consider that area 'no mans land'. I keep the left open to allow longer stock to be handled at the tablesaw. All my dust collection and power feeds are therefor on the right. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I started with Rockler's wing offering of the time. The 3/4" laminated MDF sagged but I was able to recover it with some substantial framing underneath. If I were to do it again (and didn't plan to go much larger with the RT surface) I would get a cast iron wing like Peachtree, MLCS and BenchDog sell although they limit your ability to chose your plate or lift.

Here's a poor shot (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=69054&d=1185768208) of my old 1970's C-man with the Rockler extension. I am not at home and so have limited access to pics but, you get the idea. This general format mutated into my current setup (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=119108&d=1243149958) with a thicker (and still well supported) table with a cabinet acting as the support, dust control and storage on the left. The right is supported by a storage pedestal.

Josh Reet
11-14-2009, 1:15 AM
That makes even MORE sense Glenn. I'm sold on the idea of router on the left. Thanks.

Josh Reet
11-14-2009, 1:35 AM
If I were to do it again (and didn't plan to go much larger with the RT surface) I would get a cast iron wing like Peachtree, MLCS and BenchDog sell although they limit your ability to chose your plate or lift.

Man, not a lot of price difference between those three. All are around $350 with a metal plate and a fence. Looks like the MLCS and benchdog have dual miter and T track, so that might be handy. But heavens, can't someone break the mold and get down around $250?

glenn bradley
11-14-2009, 1:49 AM
Man, not a lot of price difference between those three. All are around $350 with a metal plate and a fence. Looks like the MLCS and benchdog have dual miter and T track, so that might be handy. But heavens, can't someone break the mold and get down around $250?

That's how I ended up with the Rockler one. I don't believe it is offered any more. The Bench Dog was the only real choice back then and I was still deciding how serious I wanted to get about this hobby.

Making your own extension would be inexpensive and allow you to get feel for what your needs are. Having done a few I can say that making the plate cutout and laying in the miter track are not the voodoo tricks I used to view them as. I would recommend considering it vs. spending a lot of cash right up front.

Peter Aeschliman
11-14-2009, 2:00 AM
I bought a rockler router table as a separate table a few years ago. I'm redoing my shop now and decided to cut it down to 27" wide so it would fit between my fence rails (I have the shop fox fence you're referring to- it is really awesome and I recommend it). Looking at rockler's site, it does look like they don't sell a wood router table extension wing, but you could by one of the full sized units and do what I did...

Or MLCS has an MDF/melamine version with router plate for $190. That's a pretty good deal.

Or you could make your own for even cheaper.

Josh Reet
11-14-2009, 4:02 PM
Or MLCS has an MDF/melamine version with router plate for $190. That's a pretty good deal.

I saw that they had an MDF version. I'd sure be curious to hear if anyone had seen or used one.

glenn bradley
11-14-2009, 4:33 PM
Josh, I should've mentioned that my current top is a Rockler that was on sale. I re-did the opening to fit my lift and added the type of miter track I was after. I already used their fence system from my original extension wing so it made the most sense for me.

JohnMichael Schlim
11-14-2009, 4:42 PM
You might want to check out Jointech... WWW.jointech.com (http://www.jointech.com) Saw train system. I am considering this system when you add the optional floating tables that can on any of the 4 sides. I liek the idea of making my saw 48" wide toatal and then having 2 floating tables I can put where needed. this makes less footprint more capable saw for me. But then again i have a small space and room is everything. I currently have a seperate 24" phenolic top from them 3rd year no warp or anything yet. good luck and let me know what you choose as like I said I am also researching this problem.

Jason White
11-14-2009, 4:52 PM
I used to have the cast-iron Bench Dog in my contractor saw.

Get it. You will not regret it! It is a lifetime tool.

Jason

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have ended up with a virtually unused delta contractor saw from my father in law. And I am in the process of dialing it in and getting it upgraded.

I have decided that I really like the idea of having my router mounted in the table saw extension. I don't have a tiny shop, but I have enough stuff in there that I try to conserve space. So I'm looking for suggestions on the best combo of value/functionality as far as doing that.

My saw just has the stamped wings, so there is probably some weight advantage in going the BenchDog type direction. But that's $300 out of the pocket. FWIW, I am planning on upgrading my fence at some point to something like a Grizzly/Shopfox "classic" fence probably with the long rails. Given that, could I just build an MDF table between the rails and supported by the long, rail legs? Could I set something like a Rockler pre-made router table in there between the rails?

I guess I'm just looking to hear what other people have done (or are planning to do).

Thomas Canfield
11-14-2009, 9:14 PM
Mounlting on the left is a good idea, but the angle support rails are fairly short on that side and would only reach to mid point on the MDF section that I wan to use to have room for T-track for feather boards. I am trying to figure out how to replace a stamped metal section with a larger MDF piece for a router insert on that side. I think it will require some additional framing and support and I keep putting it off. On the right side there is a large MDF surface and I built a frame as recommended by Beisemier when I changed out the fence several years ago. The router on the right does not work for my current shop layout and I need to add the one on the left.

Josh Reet
11-15-2009, 12:45 AM
The more I look at it, the more I start to think that this is one of those times when I should just save up some pennies and buy the more expensive item rather than trying to build something myself or modify something cheaper. Much respect to you all that did it yourself, but knowing myself, this may just be a situation where the frustration and annoyance of saving a bit more money will not be as bad as the annoyance and frustration of building something.

So I'm thinking MLCS or BenchDog. Maybe there will be a sale somewhere before the holidays. Nah, I'm never that lucky.

Joshua Layne
11-15-2009, 1:16 AM
and am ready to rip it out and replace it with a benchdog - strange that I can build furniture, but that my homemade router table extension jig is such poor quality that I hate it... but there's the truth of it.

I'm also sold on the idea of using the left wing instead of the right - much less cluttered of an area (and the feed direction makes more sense)