PDA

View Full Version : A chain to both crosscut, limb, and rip?

John Sheets
11-13-2009, 8:02 PM
Hey Folks,
I'm going to set up a new chainsaw for the preparation of bowl blanks the way probably 95% of us do it, i.e., crosscutting the log to 12, 14, 16 inch or whatever lengths, and then "splitting" them as they lay on their side to remove the pith and create a flat surface. I've always used a standard chain, ground conventionally, to do this job, and it has worked reasonably well. I'm just wondering if anyone has utilized anything different, such as a skip-tooth chain, filing the teeth at a ten degree angle rather than the usual 30, etc. Anyone with success using a different set-up, I'd appreciate your input. John S

Curt Fuller
11-13-2009, 9:27 PM
I think you're on the right track with the 10 degree angle on the cutters. But I honestly have never had any trouble ripping bowl blanks with a normal chain.

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2009, 9:38 PM
John - I use a standard chain and have not experienced any problems. I do cut in a different order than you suggested - I cut the ends of the log off first, then rip down the center, then cut into bowl blank sizes. By ripping the log while it is still fairly long - it has been my experience that weight of the wood helps to prevent it from moving while being ripped. Rip shorter pieces and you have a good chance of getting the wood thrown at you by the blade! DAMHIKT!

Ryan Baker
11-13-2009, 9:43 PM
I haven't had any problems with a standard chain. But I can bury the 20" bar of my MS361 in a rip cut without even slowing it down. It rips great. It seems to me that for cutting bowl blanks, you need cross cutting as much as ripping, so a rip chain seems less important. But i'm no expert on chains.

Paul Atkins
11-13-2009, 10:24 PM
I sharpen with about halfway between the two, so I'd guess 20, but that's a guess. Makes it better for ripping but not much difference when crosscutting. Just keep it sharp.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I also cut at less than 30, but not as radical as 10. Probably 20. Can't remember. One other thing no one else mentioned, I file down the guide nub a bit too. This does make the saw jump a LOT on end grain, so you may not want to do that.

Sharp chain is the main point, as already mentioned. Oh, keep it out of the dirt.

Nathan Hawkes
11-13-2009, 10:46 PM
As already mentioned, saws will jump a bit more with a more flat angle. I mill a bit with my big saw (94cc), and use a 10deg. angle. I use 35deg. for general use. Skiptooth is faster on softwood, and seems to clear chips faster in pine, but it really isn't that much of a difference IMHO. I think the 10deg. chain is much less aggressive--35deg. will cut faster, and hold itself in the cut more, but 10deg. leaves a smoother surface. Also, chisel chain--that which has a sharp 90deg. corner on the cutters, works better than semi-chisel, also called chipper chain. It goes dull quicker, but cuts better when sharp as long as you don't hit anything other than wood... Honestly, a sharp chain is a lot more important than the angle its ground at. I mean sharp! I use a grinder, but a FRESH file (read not old & clogged) works just as well. Keep the depth rakers down to the appropriate clearance as well. A lot of people don't ever file them. DUH, I wonder why it won't cut right....:rolleyes:. Steve had a great suggestion with ripping the log first, then cutting off your lengths. Its a lot easier if the log is whole to keep it from moving around on you while you're cutting.

Pete Jordan
11-13-2009, 11:16 PM
I have been happy with a ripping chain from these folks: http://www.granberg.com/