PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever rebuild a 42X sawset?

derek sikes
11-13-2009, 8:02 PM
As the title asks, anyone ever rebuild one of these? I picked one up but it appears to be DOA. After bathing it in WD40 and gently tapping the lever with a handle a bunch of large metal flakes fell out of the plunger hole.

I know most people would say it's not worth the trouble, and I would normally agree, but I have a lot of time on my hands and a bunch of bored machinist's at my disposal. It doesn't appear to be too complicated, I'm assuming it's just a sliding piece of stock in a cylinder, but I could be wrong, I've never seen the blue print for one one.

Sean Hughto
11-13-2009, 8:18 PM
I have a couple if you need any "before" pictures to use as you fabricate yours back from the dead, Doctor.

derek sikes
11-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks, I may need those. I've got the lever off now, and the anvil (I think that's what it's called). Now it's just a matter of pressing out the plunger assembly. I might be able to get away with just cleaning everything up and putting it back together with replacement screws for the 2 that broke.

Jim Koepke
11-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks, I may need those. I've got the lever off now, and the anvil (I think that's what it's called). Now it's just a matter of pressing out the plunger assembly. I might be able to get away with just cleaning everything up and putting it back together with replacement screws for the 2 that broke.

Did the screw holding the plunger assembly break?

How badly rusted up was this thing?

Any pictures?

jim

derek sikes
11-14-2009, 12:53 AM
I'll have to get back to you on the pictures, my camera is charging at the moment. I feel like a maroon not knowing the official names of the parts, so in layman's terms I will say the pivot screw for the lever broke and the retaining screw on the front (the knurled one) is broken. The adjustment screw on the bottom which raises and lowers the block (anvil?) is working.

derek sikes
11-14-2009, 1:32 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2593/4102528098_b295b2298f.jpg

Here she is, with about 0 percent of the original finish :)

Jim Koepke
11-14-2009, 2:23 AM
I guess with all the machinists you have already determined the threads are a bit off standard.

Looks like a lost cause, but I guess you have better resources than myself for such a restoration.

jim

David Keller NC
11-14-2009, 8:58 AM
Derek - I'm not much help on exactly what to do (the machinists at your disposal will be far better - I suspect they will regard this repair as child's play), but I can tell you that Stanley 42X saw sets are sought after and go for a lot of money compared to their less-sought-after Stanely bretheren. Typically, in working and nice condition the 42X models go for about $80 or perhaps more on e-bay, while the 42s go for about $30.

Sam Takeuchi
11-14-2009, 9:21 AM
If you look at completed listing, there were quite cheap 42x. Maybe if you keep your eyes on it, you can get one cheap. If it's a crappy conditioned 42x, you can just take screws out to put it in your old one perhaps.

Either way I think your machinists can fix it easily especially if you aren't concerned about using more conventionally threaded screws and such.

Greg Crawford
11-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Derek,

If you need patterns for any parts, maybe someone nearby has one you can borrow for your machinist friends. I have an older one that I took completely apart and cleaned, but it was just dirty and gummed up. Wasn't hard to take apart or get back together, so hopefully it won't be a problem to find someone that doesn't mind having theirs taken apart.

I've also used the black engine enamel paint for re-jappaning a saw vise that worked well. Check out http://www.rexmill.com/ for how-to tips.

derek sikes
11-14-2009, 2:05 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input and advice. Being in repair division on an aircraft carrier has it's perks.

It's nice to have something to break up the routine while you're out at sea, especially something small that you can do a little bit at time. I've got an old Disston backsaw that I've been slowly bringing back to life as well (hence the need for the sawset).

I've been thinking about ordering some spring steel and taking it with me on deployment and making some custom backsaws. I've got a nice stash of wild black cherry that makes nice handles. Who knows, maybe some day you'll read about me in one of Chris Schwarz blog entries :)

UPDATE:

I stopped off at another antique store and found another saw set, this one came with a Disston No 2 that still had the file gizmo attached.