PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Offer

Wade Samuelson
09-30-2004, 11:48 AM
My office is right across the street from a great, locally-owned furniture store. It's owned by two brothers who made much of the furniture for another store before they decided to go out on their own. They intended to keep building stuff but quickly found out that they make more money by dedicating their time to buying and reselling. But, along the way, they had acquired many new tools for their production shop. So they hired a retired guy who built little stuff for them--book shelves, umbrella holders, small tables, etc. Well, that guy is moving away.

Enter Wade.

I'm always in there asking questions (I bought (meaning my wife bought) about $5k worth of furniture there so I've gotten to know these guys pretty well). I usually stop in if I am going down to the coffee shop. Yesterday, one of the brothers is telling me how their guy is moving. Then a lightbulb appears over his head and he says, "how would you like to build some stuff?" After my laughter subsided, I reminded him that the day before I was asking him how to make use of a router table and that it wouldn't be a very good business move on his part. Plus, my current job seems to be going OK for me and I really don't have time for a part-time job. He says, "Oh it's no problem. I'll bring over some tools (he mentioned a mortise machine and some sander thingy) and get you set up. I'll give you the wood and start you off with simple stuff. You can learn as you go on my machines and my wood. If you never get anything built, just give me the tools and wood back--I won't be out anything. The tools will just sit around otherwise."

I asked him "What if my work really sucks--which it probably will." He says, "It won't. You'll build like 5 of the same thing at a time. Your first couple I'll probably give to your wife as gifts and then have you build the 5 for me to sell. Don't worry, I'll make a profit. With handmade, solid wood furniture, I can sell it for a lot. Besides, it'll be fun for you--and if it isn't, just QUIT!" We didn't discuss my compensation for building for him, but I'm not sure I even want any. I get to butcher this guy's solid oak, pine, and maple; using his bits and blades. It's like going to school for free.

So anyway, I thought I'd share that with you. I'm sure if I am going to try it, but I thought it was kind of funny.

Wade

Jim Becker
09-30-2004, 11:52 AM
What a wonderful opportunity. And the most significant thing is that those folks have the confidence that this will work well for both them and you. By all means...go for it!

Mathew Nedeljko
09-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Congrats Wade! What a great opportunity, you get to learn, and there's no risk or cost to you. The only thing to think about is whether you can afford the time to make stuff for this guy to sell, or do you want to use your time to make stuff for yourself? :confused:
Whatever you decide, keep it light and continue to have fun!:)

Frank Pellow
09-30-2004, 11:59 AM
I sure wish that someone would make me an offer like that. Take it, you have nothing to lose!

Tom Sontag
09-30-2004, 12:53 PM
I understand your hesitation. Turning a hobby into a job is not always all good. But if it can turn into something full time that is better than your real job in terms of satisfaction and benefits, then why not? But if it takes away your chances of ever building something YOU want to make for yourself, then think hard.

Still, as self taught schooling, it sounds hard to beat. Very interesting situation. Let us know what you decide.

Byron Trantham
09-30-2004, 1:57 PM
Wade this is great! What an opportunity! :D I think your friend is right; anything you make will sell. It's been my experience that things I make are only criticized by ME. :mad: Go for it and enjoy the ride. :D :D

Wes Bischel
09-30-2004, 2:11 PM
Wade,
Sounds great to me - try it out! Who knows, you may end up doing it full time!

Wes

Bill Grumbine
09-30-2004, 2:42 PM
Wade, there is absolutely no way you can lose in this situation, unless you get careless and hurt yourself. If you like it and you are making what you want, great! If you don't like it, you can quit any time with no penalty. Again, great! Go for it, and if it gets to be too much, you haven't lost anything but some time, and you will have gained all sorts of experience and knowledge.

Bill

Pete Lamberty
09-30-2004, 2:52 PM
Wade, I am with everyone else. Do it. You have nothing to lose and lots to gain and if you don't like it after a while, just quit. I would do it.

Gary Max
09-30-2004, 2:53 PM
Things to think about-----income TAX----if you get paid by check .
That's just the first that jumps to mind.

Wade Samuelson
09-30-2004, 8:24 PM
Well, I guess I'll wander over tomorrow and see him. I'll ask some specific questions about his expectations and see if it still sounds as good.

Tom, I am currently an attorney. I went to law school in 1993 after finishing a 3 year stint in Army Field Artillery. My wife won't let me change jobs though--I already asked and she said NO. Go figure.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-30-2004, 9:03 PM
Wow, sounds like a nice way to get into the biz...congrats for a great opportunity!!

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-01-2004, 2:03 AM
I had a similar experience of 'stumbling into' an opportunity a few years back. I already knew what I was doing, and I went to it full time, so it's different in that regard...but the basic idea is the same. I could do what I wanted to do while somebody else took the risk.

What ended up happening is that I made somebody else a whole lot of money and grew their business instead of my own. Yes, I got paid for what I was doing, but woodworking became a 'job'. Had I been woodworking fulltime for myself, it still would've been a 'job', but I would've made a helluva lot more money for KC.

While it may start out as just a 'fun' thing you can do to learn and earn, it doesn't take long to become 'associated' with the people selling the things you make. Not only do you have to worry over the quality of what you're producing and the way you do buisness, you have to worry about how they conduct themselves.

I'm just not sure I'd do it again.

KC

Kent Cori
10-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Go for it Wade! This sounds like an ideal opportunity with little to no risk. Let us know how it is going after a few months.

Joe Scarfo
10-01-2004, 1:04 PM
If they're talking in the context of "part time" .... it's a great oppty. Work when you want on the evenings or weekends.

Your skills will continue to be honed with experience.

I remember my first project for hire. It took a few attempts but in the end it looked great. Each sucessive project has been easier to complete and looks better.

Good luck
Joe in Tampa...