PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Lacquer Mahogany Furniture Finish

Anderson Mike
11-13-2009, 2:38 PM
Alright, I need some restoration advice. I have a '30's Lacquered Mahogany Dining Room Set that's seen better times. The top and sides have finish problems ranging from minor chips, dings and abrasions to a few white-rings and a one pretty good-size (1/4" x 3/4") top scrape. A couple of the abrasions are into the wood pretty good, other than that most are superficial. Oh, and paint... there are a couple of smears of off-white paint on the chairs.

Q. What is anybody's experience with going over an existing laquer finish wholesale with lacquer thinner to get to a uniform level surface?

Just curious what's the best method is to begin to skin this cat...

Michael O'Sullivan
11-13-2009, 5:06 PM
I doubt that will work -- I once tried to "even out" some shellac that way and it was a disaster.

I am doing something similar right now on an old walnut piece. I just sanded (ROS 150 grit at low speed) and the finish came right off, and the wood (I think it is actually veneer) looks great.

Phil Phelps
11-13-2009, 5:20 PM
I'd say you need to strip this puppy first. Lacquer isn't very hard to strip and mahogany sands easily. You might try the wet towel, hot iron trick to restore dings that are not too deep.

Tony Bilello
11-13-2009, 7:20 PM
A agree with Phil. Strip it and refinish from bare wood.

Anderson Mike
11-13-2009, 9:15 PM
You guys... don't think so, huh? Really? Well, I was hoping to work in it "in situ"... big table, getting cold outside, etc... oh well, tired of making mistakes, so I'll take your advice. You all are no fun... kidding of course! Tx all!