PDA

View Full Version : Laguna LT16 for sale - can't decide if it's a good deal!

Chris Nolin
11-13-2009, 2:01 PM
Hi! This is my first post, but I've been reading all your good advice for awhile now. Another woodworker in town is selling his Laguna LT16, and I just returned from seeing it in person. It's about 5 years old, he says. Comes with the mobility kit and one 1" carbide-tipped resaw blade. It's well used, but in excellent condition. It has the 1.5hp, 220v motor. I've looked at nearly all the threads on SMC regarding this model, and I realize it's not the top of the line Laguna--maybe more akin to the Rikon or Jet, someone said. A far cry from the LT16HD, I understand. So, he's asking $1200, and I offered him $850 based on the comments in this forum. He says he won't take less than $1000. So, my question is: Is $1000 a good deal for this bandsaw? Thanks!

Dan Friedrichs
11-13-2009, 2:33 PM
I'd say it's not a bad deal. Not the deal of the century, but if you like the saw and would use it to its potential, then go for it. My feeling is that you could sell it for about the same amount if needed.

(I wouldn't compare this saw to a Jet or a Rikon, either. It's a nice saw, no doubt.)

Rod Sheridan
11-13-2009, 3:05 PM
Chris, I agree with Dan, it is a step up, and at $1,000 I feel it's a reasonable price.

Regards, Rod.

Mike Wilkins
11-14-2009, 8:44 AM
$1K is not a bad deal for a LT16. Laguna markets some nice bandsaws and this should do all you ask of it, including resawing and joinery. I have loved my LT18 since 2001 and would get another if a UFO crashes into the shop.

Chris Nolin
11-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your help, guys. I think it would have been a good deal, but the age and motor size (not to mention the fence) made me a little nervous. I just set up a near-new Steel City 18" bandsaw I found over the weekend for $650. Now, I know that was a good deal!