PDA

View Full Version : Chalice questions.

Toney Robertson
11-13-2009, 1:00 PM
It looks like I might turn two chalices for a local church.

Are most chalices turn end grain? They want these fairly large (6" top opening) so it might be difficult to find a dry piece of wood that large.

I was thinking of cherry or maple. Any other suggestions?

I was thinking of finishing it with lacquer. Any thoughts? I did a search and did not find much information about chalices here.

Any other information on design or any other aspect would be appreciated.

TIA

Toney

Mike Golka
11-13-2009, 1:13 PM
Try a glue up, that way you have umlimited design choices as well as end grain or not. My preference for laminated goblet/ chalice is end grain.

Tony De Masi
11-13-2009, 2:38 PM
Toney, I turned one for a priest friend last year. I made it from a maple log which was about 8" in diameter. It was green so I rough turned it and put it in a DNA bath overnight. The next day I wrapped it in grocery bag paper and waited two weeks until it was dry enough to finish turn it. If you don't have a log big enough then I would not hesitate to do a lamination either.

Good luck.

Tony

Maria Alvarado
11-13-2009, 2:44 PM
Your finish will need to be impervious to alcohol if they are to contain wine. You might try "goblet" instead of chalice as your search term, you'll find much more info.
Good luck!

Thom Sturgill
11-13-2009, 3:01 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=2148

Will something like this work? The top is turned side grain (started to be a bowl) then I added the 'stem' and foot. This one is about 8" diameter. As someone else pointed out, you may need to use a finish like epoxy that will withstand the alcohol in wine. BTW, I refer to this one as a 'compote' which is both a cooked fruit dish and the dish it is served in.

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2009, 6:10 PM
I would laminate if you can't find a log big enough. Rough it if you use green wood. I made two for our priest here. I used Waterlox gloss on the ones I made. Steve Russell told me it resists alcohol, hot liquids, stains and common household chemicals. So far after a year he hasn't said anything about any problems. Wash with warm soapy water, rinse and dry right away. I saw or read somewhere but can't find it now where you could use that epoxy that you mix and pour on. They say it works pretty good.

Toney Robertson
11-14-2009, 7:31 AM
Thanks for the input.

Toney