PDA

View Full Version : Jointer restoration(It's running)

Thomas Prondzinski
09-30-2004, 7:17 AM
Here are the pics of the 1919 P.B. Yates jointer I picked up Labor day weekend. All cleaned repainted ready to run.Had to make a motor mounting plate to install a 3hp. motor. Tool room guys where I work cut off and turned down the tapered shaft and cut a keyway for the pulley.Motor is running at 3600 rpm.So I put the same size pulleys on to run at 3600 rpm.Two blade cutter head and babbit bearings. Need to make a cutter head guard.

Thanks for looking Tom

Rob Russell
09-30-2004, 7:30 AM
Sweet jointer and nice cleanup job! What are the table dimensions? Looks like a nice wide jointer - 12" or 16"? That's the way to keep old iron going?

Rich Konopka
09-30-2004, 7:42 AM
Tom,

Nice restoration. Did you replace the motor? What about the knives?
All I can say is that is an aircraft carrier :D My DJ20 and the others are mere dinghy's in comparison.

Nice job !!

Dick Parr
09-30-2004, 7:43 AM
Very nice.

Dominic Greco
09-30-2004, 7:45 AM
Tom,
Having done several such "rebuilds", I can imagine the amount of work that went into this. It sure does show. Nice job on this restoration.

Have you thought about replacing that heavy duty switch with a magnetic switch? It's much safer in that if the power goes out while the jointer is in operation, the jointer would not still be energized when the power comes back on.

In addition, most of the switches I've seen have very visible, large "OFF" buttons that can be engaged with the slap of a hand (so to speak)

Grizzly sells one that is rather economical. That's the type I used on my Unisaw.

Vince Sandy
09-30-2004, 8:54 AM
Sweet machine Tom! It looks like you did a fantastic job in bringing that beauty back to life. I'm impressed with the speed in which you did the restoration. What was the condition of the jointer before you started?

I have a couple of old machines that need to be refurbished. I have done significant work on a 1939 Unisaw and I'm about ready to put it all back together with the only remaining major obstacle being the electrics. It has taken me over a year because other things keep getting moved to the top of the to-do list.

I'll second Dominic's suggestion of a magnetic switch. IMHO it is a must and something that will be on my Unisaw.

Again, impressive results on that jointer! Vince

Jim Becker
09-30-2004, 9:16 AM
Great job, Tom! That's a great looking machine. I'll also agree with Dominic on the switch suggestion and add two more. When you make your guard for the front, don't forget to put something behind the fence to cover the exposed knives when you have the fence pulled forward. It can move with the fence and can even be hinged so that it will fold up when the fence is "back". Secondly, you might want to build some kind of guard for the belts and pulleys to both avoid any material accidently getting in contact with them and for personal safety around the machine.

Jack Hogoboom
09-30-2004, 11:15 AM
That is one big piece of iron. It must be screwing up compasses all over time.

Jack

Tyler Howell
09-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Great Job Tom,

Looks Like a beast! Betcha don't move that to sweep?:D
Very nice.

Steve Clardy
09-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Nice job!!!!. I like old iron too.

Steve

Chuck Wintle
09-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Thomas,
Your jointer looks great and its nice when old machines are given a new lease on life! Just curious about the babbit bearings. How are they lubricated and did you have to repair/restore them?

Larry Crim
09-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Looks great nice restoration job.
Larry

Wes Bischel
09-30-2004, 2:29 PM
Boy that's a pretty machine. Looks like it's good for another 50 years! So it begs the question - which great grandchild will get it!! :D
Nice job.
Wes

Thomas Prondzinski
09-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the comments
Rob It has a 12" wide cutterhead,tables are 16"x85" long
Rich I bought the motor from the same guy I got the jointer from,he was planing to restor after the 36" bandsaw he had.Decide he needed the room.
Vince Jointer was in pretty good shape only light surface rust on tables and everything was free no frozen parts.
Jim I was planing on some kind of extension on back of fence as it already has one built in to the fence but still leaves about 2" of cutterhead exposed.Good suggestion on the belt guard I never thought of it as it was against the wall.
Charles Babbits were in pretty good shape,useing 10w30 synthetic oil

Tom