PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Cedar Duo ...

ron hossack
11-12-2009, 10:59 PM
A couple walking by my garage saw me on the lathe. He walked up and asked me what I was turning.

I showed him a pen.

He came back later with a real nice piece of Spanish Cedar and asked me if I could make them a couple of pens out of the wood.

Her's was to be thin and no finish.

A One-Piece Slimline in Gun Metal finish. Sanded to 600 grit and then 0000 steel wool and then burnished with strips of a brown paper sack until the wood glowed.

http://s1.bild.me/bilder/5283993SC-1_800x600.JPG

He wanted a fatter pen but smaller than a cigar.

May I introduce to you a 'Slimline Pro Click Pen' in gold also made into a One-Piece pen and finished with 3 coats of Med CA in 40ºF in my garage.

http://i34.tinypic.com/30n8bhx.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pics the battery was dying in the camera.

Kenneth Whiting
11-12-2009, 11:12 PM
I like them both, nice pens.

alex carey
11-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Both are nice, I like the first one better, its pretty wood.

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Ron - both are very nice pens! I like the idea of a cedar pen with no finish on it! Should age beautifully! I see you have a different grain orientation on the click pen and the CA finish really brings it and the color out nicely! Good work! I am sure you have 2 very happy customers!

dennis kranz
11-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I like that a lot. Is there some where I can go to get the directions as to how to make one?
Dennis

Mike Minto
11-13-2009, 7:10 AM
ron, are you certain those very nice pens are 'spanish cedar', the stuff used to line cigar humidors? looks like aromatic/eastern cedar, to me. i'm turning a small box right now for a friend of spanish cedar and curly maple - the wood looks completely different, will post soon as i finish it this weekend. mike

ron hossack
11-13-2009, 3:30 PM
ron, are you certain those very nice pens are 'spanish cedar', the stuff used to line cigar humidors?
Mike, he brought me the board and there was a sticker on it that said 'Spanish Cedar'. It was left over from a casket built for his dog.

I have about 30 cigar boxes here to cut up for the wood ...

looks like aromatic/eastern cedar, to me.
This doesn't smell Eastern at all ... very faint order.

ron hossack
11-13-2009, 3:35 PM
Ron - both are very nice pens! I like the idea of a cedar pen with no finish on it! Should age beautifully!
Thank you ...

I see you have a different grain orientation on the click pen and the CA finish really brings it and the color out nicely!
Yes ... not by design but necessity. I marked the blank to cut and as I touched the saw blade to it all of a sudden the wood exploded and I was left with two pieces.

I had just X-Cut some really tough Purple Heart and I looked at the saw blade and noticed that there was a carbide tooth missing.

To get this one I had to lay it at an angle so it was long enough. There is a nice knot right in the middle of it.

ron hossack
11-13-2009, 3:42 PM
I like that a lot. Is there some where I can go to get the directions as to how to make one?
Dennis, Not sure what the policy is concerning posting links to other site so I sent you a PM telling you where to get directions for One-Piece (Slimline, Slimline Pro Click and Cigar) pens.

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2009, 5:47 PM
Really nice pens Ron. Really like that first one. Need to try one.