PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Gouge

Kenneth Whiting
11-12-2009, 10:25 PM
I really want a bowl gouge. What size should I start with? Should I bother with a $20 Sears one, or get something else?

I will probably stay with relatively small bowls for a while. As if I have a say in the directional flow of the vortex.

This also means one of the self-centering chucks and some way of holding the bowl on by the rim?

Gary Conklin
11-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Doug Thompson 3/8" Bowl Gouge.

Alan Trout
11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
I really like my Thompson 1/2v bowl gouge. I have turned plenty of 5 inch bowls with it but I have roughed many 15 inch bowls as well. It is a very versatile tool.

Good Luck

Alan

Jake Helmboldt
11-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Kenneth, if you can turn spindles then I also suggest a Thompson (you have to make your own handle, but it isn't hard and is a fun project).

I also suggest the 1/2" as I think it is more versatile than the 3/8. A chuck is certainly very useful but not a necessity.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Do not waste money on the Craftsman/Sears one. The bowl gouge is your main tool, and you should invest in a high quality one. You will not regret it. You WILL regret spending money on a Sears one. Trust me. I regrind my Craftsman ones into single use tools. I still use the skew though. When I have cut near the head or tailstock:eek:.

Everyone here seems to like the Thompsons. Someday I'll buy one. I have a Sorby 3/8, and I like it. You can get the Thompsons cheaper. But you'll have to make a handle. (FUN!)

Jeff Nicol
11-13-2009, 7:44 AM
Kenneth, There are many ot them out there for you choose from and I have chosen many! I have a couple Benjamins best that I started out with and then got a nice packard 3/8" standard grind that is one of my favorites! I have a Crown tools Ellsworth that is at the top of the list for quality and design. I have a couple of Kyro gouges in different sizes and the 1/4" standard grind is my go to for final very small cuts, the curls are like angel hair when the come of the wood! I also have 2 Thompson's one is a 5/8" "U" and I have a 1/2" "V" and they both work wonderfully. I have a little different grind on everyone and use them in situations that they work best in for me. So if money is an issue, like already said the Thompson's are hard to beat. Woodcraft has a line of "PINNICLE" tools that hold up nice and look nice also, I have a spindle gouge from them and I am very impressed with it for a complete tool.

So as time goes by the Vortex will suck you deeper and you will end up like lots of us, multiple lathes and lots of tools!!

Have fun,

Jeff

Dick Gerard
11-13-2009, 8:37 AM
I have been a turner for over 30 years now. If you are just starting out making bowls, and, as you said, you will probably stick to small bowls for awhile, I recommend the Thompson 3/8 inch gouge.

Do not invest in a 4 jaw chuck just yet. Learn to use a faceplate and learn how to DESIGN your turning so that you are able to reverse turn it and eliminate the screw holes.

Alternatively, use a glue block with the face plate. You will still need to plan ahead so that you can reverse the bowl and clean up the bowl bottom.

You can save many many $$$$$$$$$$$ by starting out this way. If you later decide to become a production turner, turning out hundreds or thousands of bowl a year, then its time to invest in all those things that will enhance your productivity ... like 4 jaw chucks, vacuum chucks, multiple lathes, etc.

BTW, even such experts as David Ellsworth and John Jordan espouse the use of faceplates.

Gordon Seto
11-13-2009, 8:55 AM
Tool is not your answer. How to sharpen it, how to present the cutting edge to wood free hand are the tricky part.
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/faq.asp has helpful information.
Finding a local Club and get some hands on would shorten the learning curve.
http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp
"Turned Bowl Made Easy" DVD by Bill Grumbine is the next best. It is one of the best bowl turning DVD to start learning on. It shows several reverse turning methods; some of them would cost almost nothing.
He did a two day demo for our Club with only one 5/8" Thompson V bowl gouge, one parting tool and 1 cut from a detail gouge (because of tight space). He didn't even carry the famous 80 grit gouge with him. It was 3 good size projects on a 3520 Powermatic.
I am not suggesting you to get his signature gouge; IMO, it is not the best choice for mini lathes, small size turnings.

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2009, 9:09 AM
+1 for the Thompson 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouge. In the 1/2" I have both the V and the U. Stay away from Sears. IMHO they are junk.

Paul Atkins
11-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I agree with Dick. I use my 1/2" gouges way more than the 3/8" though and I don't make large bowls yet. The 3/8" and 1/4" seem too small for general use to me. I rarely use a chuck. More on that later.

Steve Mawson
11-13-2009, 11:36 AM
The first bowl gouge I bought was a Thompson 3/8 V. Works very nice. Something to hold the rim to reverse turn is not a have to have. I attended a Bill Grumbine seminar and he reversed the bowl against the chuck and held it with the tail stock. Probably could also hold it against a small face plate also. Just a little hand work at the very end.

Richard Jones
11-13-2009, 4:00 PM
Hard to beat a Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge. Actually, hard to beat anything Thompson................. Don't you deserve the best?

Rich

Bill Arnold
11-13-2009, 4:20 PM
You've gotten great advice from many of the experts here on the Forum. I'm still learning which end is up when it comes to turning but I did learn by asking and listening that it pays to get decent lathe tools. OK, so I listen but I'm still che..... er, frugal. Some people suggested Benjamin's Best as a good set of tools - not as great as the Thompson but good, nonetheless. When I checked on the BB pricing, I found I could get a set of three BB bowl gouges (3/8", 1/2" & 5/8") for about the same as one Thompson gouge. I'm just sayin'.......... :confused:

Kenneth Whiting
11-13-2009, 6:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I currently have the starter set from HF. I started looking at the BB today since that is the same quality as what I have. I would like a complete set of Thompson's (is a complete set of any tool really possible). I will probably have to upgrade later.:(

Doug Thompson
11-13-2009, 11:44 PM
It takes one bowl gouge to turn a bowl... IMO a 1/2V is all you need. As you can see we all learned a different way with different tools. Become a woodturner and not a tool collector so select a few good tools and take the time to learn how each is used.

Dave Lehnert
11-14-2009, 9:52 PM
WARNING!!! This post s by a woodworker who knows nothing about lathe work. But.........

When looking for a bowel Gouge I got the same advice 3/8 & 1/2" But got confused because I found brands can be measured different. Some are measured by the flute width others by the width of the whole tip. So one brands 3/8 may be another brands 1/2"

Maybe some experienced turners on here could give a better explanation.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Take a look at Doug Thompsons site. It has a good explanation of everything you'd want to know. In a nutshell, english (over there) measures across the flute, here, we measure across the tool. So, my Sorby 3/8 is the same size as Dougs 1/2".

Maybe for Christmas I'll buy myself a 5/8" Thompson.....

Chris Stolicky
11-15-2009, 9:15 AM
UK measurement - the flute diameter

US measurement - shaft (outside) diameter

at least that's how I understand it.

Scott Hackler
11-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Also keep in mind that the "bowl" gouge from HF or Sears is really just a spindle gouge. Heck, my first Sorby "bowl" gouge was what I now concider to be a spindle gouge. I found out the hard way that a gouge with a flat tang (where it enters the handle) is NOT appropriete to have hanging over the tool rest while hollowing out a bowl. The Sorby "bowl" gouge that came in my Sorby starter set snapped off and gouged out my HAND! Yeah, ouch.

So I ordered a real 1/2 and 3/8 bowl gouge from them, and discovered what a real lathe tool looks, feels and works like. I got the first one replaced, but I only use it for pens and little stuff.

The moral of the story is buy at least one really good "real" bowl gouge. It would be hard for me to choose between the 1/2 and the 3/8, though. I use the 1/2 to rough and hoggin out a lot of wood while hollowing. The 3/8, for me, is my favorite. I use it to fiinsh almost all things after they are made round and basically roughed.

For under a $100 (at woodcraft) you can have one of these and it will change your turning experience. Im sure that Doug's tools are top of the line but for the newer turner, the aspect of turning your own handle might be too much. (I havent done this yet, but intend on doing it).

Hope this helps.

Dave Lehnert
11-15-2009, 5:22 PM
UK measurement - the flute diameter

US measurement - shaft (outside) diameter

at least that's how I understand it.

So when we read a recommendation of a 3/8 or 1/2" are we taking US or UK?

Doug Thompson
11-15-2009, 6:58 PM
American tools measure diameter the rest of the world measures across the flute so I like a 1/2 diameter bowl gouge.

Mike Minto
11-15-2009, 7:11 PM
kenneth, my 'go to' tool is one of the first i ever bought, same day i got my first lathe. 5/8" ellsworth signature PM bowl gouge by Crown. i use it over anything, when applicable - boring, shearing, spindles - good size, minimal vibration, not too many catches :p.

Keith Harrell
11-18-2009, 5:23 PM
Just to be sure are the 1/2 gouges you recommend 1/2 flute or total size of the overall gouge. I use the both terms but will be ordering the Thompson gouge and want to replace one which has a 1/2 flute size. I think Thompson's site refers to total size which I prefer but have been know to be wrong twice today already.
Thanks

Kyle Iwamoto
11-18-2009, 5:41 PM
My Sorby 3/8, (1/2" across) is a good size. Probably get you by for years. Mine is a couple years old. I only want a bigger one because it should take off more wood, and everyone raves about the Thompsons. I'd like to own one, but see no sense in buying the same size, or a smaller one. IF I had known about them earlier, I probably get the same size I have now. It does a lot. small bowls big bowls (not real big, but big for me) boxes.

Kenneth Whiting
11-18-2009, 5:46 PM
Ok, ya'll twisted my arm. I just put in an order for a 1/2" bowl gouge from Thompson. Guess I need to start practicing for a handle.

Dave Rudy
11-18-2009, 8:45 PM
So when we read a recommendation of a 3/8 or 1/2" are we taking US or UK?

Dave,

UK measures bowl gouges as the distance across the flute (so a 1/2" Hamlet is really a 5/8" bowl gouge). Canada (Oneway) and US (Thomspon, Glaser if you could find one) measure bowl gouges as the actual diameter of the stock. So a Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge and a Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge are the same size (but not the same type of steel, of course).

Everybody measures spindle gouges by the total diameter of the stock.

HTH

Kyle Iwamoto
11-18-2009, 8:59 PM
Try searching for "ash turning blank" on e-b--. I just got 5 for 15 bucks, IIRC, ships for free. They're cut offs from a bat blank I believe. If you want ash for a handle. Rather unremarkable wood, but strong. If you find the free shipping guy, he also had maple blanks. I'm all about cheap.... Free shipping is free shipping.

Good luck on your handle.