PDA

View Full Version : Where does one buy a simple fruit basket?

Brian Elfert
11-12-2009, 9:56 PM
Ok, this is probably a stupidly simple question, but where does one buy a simple already put together fruit basket?

I'm flying to Atlanta Saturday and would like to pick up a fruit basket as a gift. I haven't seen them at grocery stores locally in Minneapolis, but my father says high end grocers carry them. I have no idea what grocery store chain is high end in Atlanta.

Thanks for any help.

Dave Lehnert
11-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Most stores with a Produce department will put one together for you if you ask. The Floral department, that is most likely part of Produce, Have all the supplies to make gift baskets.

Joe Mioux
11-12-2009, 10:16 PM
we do them all the time.

Flower shops and Grocery Produce Departments. You just have to order at the flower shop and go in and ask the produce manager at the grocery store.

Paul Atkins
11-13-2009, 1:02 AM
I just Googled Atlanta fruit baskets and came up with lots of choices - but I live In California.

Anthony Scira
11-13-2009, 1:11 AM
You might want to check to see if you can transport fruit across state lines. I know driving into California we have Agricultural check points and any fruit is seized.

Brian Elfert
11-13-2009, 7:48 AM
I just Googled Atlanta fruit baskets and came up with lots of choices - but I live In California.

I did the Google thing yesterday, but I don't want to do delivery. I looked at a lot of entries on Google, but couldn't find any place even remotely close to the route I am taking from the airport to a far flung suburb.

I am hoping there is some type of store that routinely has these things on the shelf to buy. I'll have to stop at a full service grocery store on my route to see what they have.

I suppose fruit baskets are perishable so they don't get made by the pallet like gift baskets at Sam's Club.

John Pratt
11-13-2009, 10:08 AM
You might want to check to see if you can transport fruit across state lines. I know driving into California we have Agricultural check points and any fruit is seized.

Sorry to get off the OP, but...

I have never heard of this. Does California really have Ag checkpoints that seize fruit? So if I am driving with my family from Nevada (a part of the United States) and my kiddies have an apple or two, they will seize it? I understand the whole bug in the fruit dilemma, but wow, what’s next.

Lee Schierer
11-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Krogers' have a number of stores in the Atlanta area. Their website says that they have fruit baskets and you can even order on line.

Anthony Scira
11-13-2009, 1:18 PM
Sorry to get off the OP, but...

I have never heard of this. Does California really have Ag checkpoints that seize fruit? So if I am driving with my family from Nevada (a part of the United States) and my kiddies have an apple or two, they will seize it? I understand the whole bug in the fruit dilemma, but wow, what’s next.

Yep they sure do. I am not sure which fruit is restricted. It has to do with the spreading of pests and disease into the CA that could cause major damage to it #1 industry.

I do remember having to hand over a bag of bananas one time. They are prolly not gonna take an apple away from a kid that is eating it. But then again it depends on whats going on and what they are trying to stop.

This is NOTHING compared to Hawaii ! Those guys are very paranoid on what comes in or goes out of that place.

Kent A Bathurst
11-13-2009, 1:32 PM
AZ also - very strict. And - new Zealand - they have trained beagles sniffing evey bag that comes into the international terminal. Saw a young guy who had had a bananna in his backpack, but ate it on the plane. Dog did not make that distinction - kid had to unload the entire backpack right there on the floor by the baggage carousel.

Kent A Bathurst
11-13-2009, 1:37 PM
Brian - which far-flung suburb?

Brian Elfert
11-13-2009, 3:10 PM
Krogers' have a number of stores in the Atlanta area. Their website says that they have fruit baskets and you can even order on line.

Thanks much. I looked at the Kroger website earlier, but didn't find fruit baskets. I'll look again. This will probably be the best way to go.

Kent A Bathurst
11-13-2009, 3:14 PM
Brian - In Atlanta, based on the people I talk to, the general consus favors Publix over Krogers. Pretty sure Publix is not up in the far north where you are.

Also - a number of Whole Foods around.

Brian Elfert
11-13-2009, 3:28 PM
Brian - which far-flung suburb?

Powder Springs. The friends I am visiting actually live straight north of Powder Springs a ways. The mailing address is Powder Springs.

It looks like Kroger can make a basket for me to pick up.