PDA

View Full Version : Simple Box

Larry Crim
09-30-2004, 12:37 AM
Finished this today, came out ok but don't have time to finish it as I wanted I started on it last night and finished it up today. Just threw some BLO on it but it looks alright. It's a box for my sister I'll make her a better one when I have more time.
Just curious how long do you normally wait to use poly over BLO?
Thanks for looking

Dennis Peacock
09-30-2004, 12:46 AM
Really nice work there Larry. Very well done and nice lines. :D

Christian Aufreiter
09-30-2004, 1:07 AM
Interesting design, Larry. I like it.

Regards,

Christian

Terry Quiram
09-30-2004, 7:01 AM
Larry

Great box. I really like the chamfer to the lid. I normally wait at least 24 hours before applying any top coat over BLO.

Terry

Michael Stafford
09-30-2004, 7:40 AM
Simply beautiful and elegant Larry. I love the clean lines and nice wood contrast!

John Miliunas
09-30-2004, 9:19 AM
Ditto to what the others have said! Simple, nice lines, yet retains an elegant appearance. :) Very nice looking wood, as well! Good job, Larry. :cool:

Dick Parr
09-30-2004, 9:22 AM
Very nice Larry, looks great.

Jon Olson
09-30-2004, 9:23 AM
Very nice box. I really like the continuation of the angles from the top to the base. I'm building my first box and wish my mitred corners were that tight.

Any tips on cutting mitred/beveled corners on a table saw??

Jon

Jack Hogoboom
09-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Beautiful. Simple and elegant. I especially like the clean lines of the top and sides.

Jack

Larry Crim
09-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks all for the compliments

Jon
I cut the corners on the TS with the miter at 90 and the blade at 45.
One thing I always do is cut some scrap to equal legths and test the corners, I assemble it with masking tape and make all adjustments to the blade or miter as needed then recut the scrap till I have a perfect box. I then cut the original wood and assemble with masking tape. I used corner clamps before but the tape works better so I will be sticking to that from now on. I also use tape on the inside of the joint before assembling I use thin tape and trim it to the edge with a razor blade then when the glue comes out all I have to do is peel it away and the excess glue peels right off. I use a lot of glue on my joints. Very important is make sure all apposing sides are exactly equal one side being as little as 1/64th longer or shorter can make a gap in a joint.

Thanks again
Larry

Michael Stafford
09-30-2004, 1:02 PM
I have a hint for miters that always works for me. I set my blade tilt to 45 as accurately as possible. Then I rough cut my pieces to length using either the miter sled (preferred method) or with a fence extension attached to the miter gauge. Here is the important part of the trick. Cut one side of each joint on the left side of the blade and cut the other side on the other side of the blade. If my angle tilt is not exactly 45, let's say it is 44.5 degrees you will still get a 90 degree angle if you cut the pieces on oppostie sides of the blade. One cut will be 44.5 degrees and the other 45.5 degrees but they add up to 90 degrees. This works very well for mitering simple flat stock. Hope it helps.

You should also use blocks clamped to your sled or fence extension to ensure that opposing sides are exactly equal.

Donnie Raines
09-30-2004, 1:14 PM
Looking good my friend!

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-30-2004, 1:42 PM
Very Nice box Larry. The miters and the angle extending through the lid are very pleasing.

Roger

Chris Padilla
09-30-2004, 2:53 PM
Very nice box...great contrast in the wood.

I normally wait for the smell of the BLO to go away to determine if it is done drying/curing. Usually it is a couple days or three.

Byron Trantham
09-30-2004, 3:11 PM
Larry nice style!

One of the Creekers told be to mix BLO 50/50 with mineral spirits. It dries faster. I still wait 24 hours though. :D

Tim Leo
09-30-2004, 7:04 PM
I'm sure to show my ignorance with this question...

What is BLO?

Chris Padilla
09-30-2004, 7:18 PM
Boiled Linseed Oil

Dennis Peacock
09-30-2004, 7:23 PM
Larry nice style!

One of the Creekers told be to mix BLO 50/50 with mineral spirits. It dries faster. I still wait 24 hours though. :D
Byron,

That's what I do as well. 50/50 mix of BLO and MS. I seems to apply better as well as penetrate the wood better thinned this way than applying BLO full strength. I still use 24 hours for drying time or even longer if I can afford the wait time. :D