PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Lathe?

Trent Flemming
11-12-2009, 8:58 PM
Hey Gang,

I have always wanted a lathe and like Powermatic tools, but do not know anything about lathes. I see the powermatic lathes on ebay from time to time. Probably old school items for about $600 to $800. Are these good lathes or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks,

Trent

Kyle Iwamoto
11-12-2009, 9:25 PM
If the lathe is 6 - 800 bucks, it's probably old school and probably require a lot of work to get in top running shape. The old school lathes, while high in cool factor, are nowhere near today's lathes...... PM makes good stuff, if you buy one and invest some time and money, you'll probably get a servicable lathe for a long time. Look for the "standard" #2 Morse Taper, there's more parts and accessories than the smaller #1 MT. Also inch by 8 threads is the "standard" headstock thread size. Pass on the 3/4 by 16.

Paul Atkins
11-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I have a Powermatic 90 which is a workhorse as far as I'm concerned. Variable speed (Reeves) 1 1/2" spindle, gap bed, very heavy, ugly green, no fussy electronics and bulletproof. (In case you need that). Bearings are available and some parts are expensive on E---. The PM 45 has a smaller spindle and generally wimpier. There are 3 phase and single phase versions too. Don't underrate the big green machines. Old school machines do not have very many hours on them, but get amateur abuse nonetheless.

Jeff Nicol
11-13-2009, 7:48 AM
The old PM 90's are tanks and very sturdy and that is why they withstood the many hands of highscool students all over the country! They are easy to maintain and built well. If you have some mechanical ability and the desire you can get one and tune it up and it will last you a lifetime. I almost bought one a couple of months ago, but decided I had no room for it and no time to clean it up and get it back to its original glory, I could have got it for $200. I still think what if!!

Jeff

Philip Morris
11-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Trent,
As others have said, the PM90s were very well built lathes. I have always thought it would be cool to turn on a piece of "old arn."

Some other things you might want to consider.

1. The PM90s were available with a variety of minimum low speeds. Some were as low as 300 rpms, others only went down to 900 rpms. If you plan to turn only spindles (pens, candlesticks, table legs, etc.) the low speed should not be a limiting factor. However, if you desire to turn bowls from out of balance blanks, you want the lowest low speed possible.

2. Many of these lathes were equipped with 3-phase motors, which cannot be run off of normal house current without an inverter (which not necessarily a bad thing since the right inverter can be used as a speed controller to slow down a lathe with too high of a low speed). Alternatively, you could replace the motor with a single phase unit.

3. Many of the surplus school lathes are missing components like the tailstock or toolrest base. Check on the cost of replacing these items before you buy the lathe. Some of them can be very expensive to replace.

4. I think I recall that the spindle thread on the PM90s was 1.5" x 8tpi, which is large compared to most spindles. This may limit which chucks you can use. For example, the Oneway Stronghold chuck can accept a 1.5" insert, but they don't list one for the smaller Talon chuck. Since the PM90 only has a 12" swing, a Stronghold would be a little overkill and could actually get in the way when turning smaller projects.

5. I also recall that the tool rest post on the PM90 is an odd size, which may limit the availability of accessories or require you to make/special order such items.

Bottom line, they were great, heavy-duty lathes in their time. Depending on your turning goals it may limit you. FWIW, the new Delta and Jet variable speed midi lathes have the same swing capacity and have a low speed setting more around 200 rpms and accept standard accessories. I think they retail for around $600 and appear to have greater demand if you ever decide to resell.

David Colafranceschi
11-13-2009, 12:07 PM
I just finished rebuilding a General 260 which is very much like the PM 90. There are very few moving parts in these machines and in turn are very easy to rebuild and very heavy. The PM 90 is a beast and being in Canada if I had a chance at one I would buy one-I just think they made nice machines. I saw a couple of PM 90's go on the bay for $200 or less for the pair. Once rebuilt that lathe will last a lifetime and longer. You can also have electronic variable speed if you want and that is not a big ticket item. I am very happy with my end product and you can see the rebuild in an earlier post. My total cost for rebuild was $1800 and that included the machine, fuel to go pick it up, new bearings, belts, some new knobs and paint and a brand new, made in the USA 2HP motor. It purrs like a kitten and I just think it is great. Electronic variable speed would have added $400 to the cost. I think you can't go wrong bringing one of these machines back to life. I wonder if the machines made today will look as good as these machines do 40 years from now and I am sorry, MIDI lathes will not compare with one of these machines. If we are going on straight numbers and specifications that is one thing but actual use is another. MIDI lathes are great but they are a different class of machine. You would not loose a dime off of a nicely rebuilt older machine. Good luck with your purchase.

Ron Lynch
11-13-2009, 6:50 PM
I recently bought a CL Powermatic 45 that was said to be an old high school machine. I bought a new drive belt , turned a handwheel for it and put it to work. Works great. Today I put a 3 phase motor and a VFD into it, also CL. For well under $500 I've got a sweet running variable speed lathe that weighs over 350 lbs and is steady as a rock. If you find a good one, go for it, you'll like it.

Paul Mullan
11-24-2009, 5:58 PM
I can get this lathe for 600.00 is it worth buying or should I be looking for something else?
This would be my first lathe so I am pretty green to this stuff. Or would I be better buying something newer?

Paul

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-woodworking-tools-W0QQAdIdZ170362227

David Colafranceschi
11-24-2009, 8:10 PM
Not bad for $600.

Peter Lamb
11-24-2009, 8:55 PM
This lathe priced under $600 Has all the bells and whistles. Vs down to 250 rpms, 1 hp.,12 1/2" swing reverse and reverse.

Gary Herrmann
11-24-2009, 9:19 PM
There was a guy recently selling a PM90 in classifieds. Don't know if he still has it. I saw it when I picked up my sander. Definitely old arn, but in decent shape. Don't know price either. Sorry.